The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 17 Day Old GR Pup with Cradle Cap

Default 17 Day Old GR Pup with Cradle Cap

One pup in a litter of 5 has a light tan colored hard scab below her coat in the lower back region.. It grew in size from a round area about the size of a half dollar to an egg shaped patch twice that size. Her coat is not affected. It is not bothering her. She is gaining weight like the other pups. I have seen cradle cap in humans and in a 9 week old bulldog pup. None of the other pups have symptoms. It is starting to respond to treatment of oil to soften the scab and decrease in size. I wonder if other GR owners have seen this and would be willing to share what they know.

Do pups with Cradle Cap have a higher likelihood of skin or immune system problems as adults?

Spencer

What is the ichthyosis status of the dam and sire?

If they are both clear, you might want to have a scrapping tested to make sure that it's nothing more that dry skin. I have had a puppy with flaky skin (not ichthyosis) but it didn't show up that young. I was able to resolve it with salmon oil in the food.
    Good luck with the litter. Looks like a nice one.
    Last edited by Jeannie Greenlee; 03-21-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Thanks Jeannie.

My dog, the dam of the pups, is clear for ichthyosis. The pup could be a carrier as the sire was a carrier. I am taking her in to be examined next week.
    Spencer

If your pup is a carrier the skin issue you are seeing wouldn't be ichthyosis. You may want to try putting a little vitamin E directly on the area and see if that helps.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

I was asked by the KSU Vet Clinic to use a mild shampoo and soak and shampoo the place on the dog and then do nothing more to the pup until my appointment next Wednesday. It took two shampoos and a bit of soaking and some combing to remove the softened "cap". The remarkable thing is that below the crusty scab was normal skin and fur. It is gone and I cannot see any signs of the problem. The only treatment I had done to the area was to work argan oil into the scabby area for two days. I doubt that it did much other than soften the crusty stuff.

Hi....maybe it was something external that puppy rolled in or just got on her...like food or something like that.

Great the skin looked normal underneath..

Saw your other post about the pups...can you post the pedigree? ..always interesting!

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Judy:
    I was very surprised to see it look so good and the best thing is that she still symptom free.

Here is the pedigree of the pups.oops I could not get that to look right.

Spencer

Please see Tully at www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=433946‎ and Ace at www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=410188‎

Last edited by DrDuck; 03-24-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Dr.Duck, I've had something similar a few times over the years on some Lab pups and cradle cap is pretty much how it looks. Notice it within the first couple weeks, only one pup in a litter, and always been a yellow, for whatever that's worth. Just one small patch, I've used several things, betadine, etc, basically, it just loosens, comes off and skin is normal underneath, like nothing was ever there. There's been no relationship to anything skin-related or otherwise as adults. I'm not the only one that's encountered this either and the other breeders I've discussed with have had the same results.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs