The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a breeder/litter for my dad

Default Finding a breeder/litter for my dad

Hi folks,

A few months ago my dad had to put down his 13.5 year old lab due to cancer. He took it pretty hard but he is finally talking about getting another pup. He doesn't hunt, he just goes on his daily walks and works around the acreage since retiring. Considering his interests and activity levels a show bred pup is probably best for him. He did find a couple breeders that he liked, but they would not sell him a pup with full registration, and he would not accept that. Not that he plans to breed, but it's his opinion that it's his dog he wants to be able to do whatever he wants - just the principle of the thing I guess.

Anyway, can anybody recommend a breeder of of nice laid back show dogs that sell pups with full registration?

Thanks,
    Newf

How about a laid back lab from Duckhill Kennels?
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

I do not think you need to go to a "show" breeder. There are quite a few breeders (some on here) of good quality all around labs that are not necessarily high octane. You might look for a litter from some hunt test or agility breeders. I think it's mainly the show crowd that has the limited registration.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

You're not going to find a responsible show breeder that will give him a puppy on full registration because "it's his dog he wants to be able to do whatever he wants".... does he understand exactly what limited registration is??

And this was such a nice thread too.

Hi Newf!

I agree with 2tall. You don't need to limit your search to show Labs. There are some very sensible field bred Labs out there. However, if your dad decides it's a show bred Lab he wants, I think it's more important to find the breeder who is producing the type of dog that would best suit his needs, instead of worrying about their registration policy. If your father isn't interested in breeding there isn't a down side to a limited registration. Just my well-intentioned opinion. Take it or leave it.

I'm sure those who offer puppies with limited registration have good reasons for their policy. Obviously Nicole feels strongly about this issue. Maybe she can give us a brief overview of her perspective on the subject to help educate those of us who may not fully grasp the philosophy.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Thanks for all the replies and PM's folks!

I totally agree about the limited registration for what he wants. He's fully aware of the limited registration facts. But he's got his reasons. And I learned a long time ago that he's pretty stubborn like that. And he probably won't change his mind anytime soon.

No reason to try to change your dad's mind, people want what they want. No reason he has to go with a Limited Registration to get a nice, healthy, good natured Lab puppy either, I hardly think "show dogs" have the corner on that market. The parents and the breeder are going to be a stronger indicator of the pup than anything else. Maybe give your dad's area so people can send some suggestions?
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

There is always variation in litters even in strong field blood lines. I would not look for a show dog litter. I think you can find a good puppy with all of the appropriate health clearances in a litter bred for hunting. I know that Jane Laman has two unsold pups right now and she breeds very nice hunting dogs.

One can find a showy looking lab, a Field looking lab; a calm lab, a wild lab; in any line of lab..They are all the same breed after all . Some of the field people write them showy calm type as being British type; so you might look up those type of litters. Although health clearances; is the most important thing in any litter, next to knowing the character of both parents (particularly mom). I wouldn't accept limited registration either, I've had full on every dog, every breed; I've ever owned and the vast majority of them were spayed or neutered under a year with never any intention of breeding. Sure some can say it doesn't matter, but I take it personal when a breeder decides that I'm not responsible enough to know what is best for my own dog. I sort of see it as an attack on my character. I'm sure others don't see it that way, but for me it matters.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-25-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)