The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre Train, Test WARM UP???

Default Pre Train, Test WARM UP???

What are some things you all do before training or a trial or test to warm up, stretch a dog out before he/she has to go to the line??? Thanks in Advance!!!!!

Found this one time looks helpful. http://www.patburnsretrievertraining...hlete-pics.pdf
    Daren Galloway

Let them air.... and if possible I like to run through a brief obiedience session and wagon wheel drill. (Off site of course)
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Depends on the dog. One I just let him air and then head to the line. Had one several years back that a stern obedience session was required or line manners would be horrible.

Here, watch this:

Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Here, watch this:

This is really good and I try if at all possible even before I train to do some of these types of warmups. Thanks Renee for posting.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Here, watch this:

Certainly makes sence and I'm sure some of the injuries would be avoidable if you went through this each and every time you took your dog out of the box, but for the most part it you plan on doing this prior to running at an event your going to have a hard time finding ample area on the grounds so you would need to find a place off grounds and then try to work it into your # , pretty tough and REALLY tough if your running more than one dog..

I was amazed, when I first started hunt tests, to see dogs that were in crates most of the day pulled out, quickly aired, and then straight to the line. Almost all other athletes do some kind of warmup to get them loose and ready to perform. I have come to see that the format and rules of a hunt test limits how much you can work your dog before you come to the line, but some kind of warmup routine surely has to be beneficial. I've noticed the big pros (I saw Clint Johnson's crew doing this last summer) who occasionally run in our area have their assistants getting dogs out in advance, getting the airing done, and tossing a couple of easy fun bumpers to get the dog ready.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

It is also tough if you are working the test or train with a small group to take the time to warm up and cool down the dog.

But some of the warm up you can do by taking the long way to the holding blind so the dog gets a good walk, and while waiting in the holding blinds you can put dog through the stretching exercises.
    Renee P