The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who finds it interesting

Default Am I the only one who finds it interesting

that health care is one of the very few services that we purchase without ever knowing or even asking what it costs? Can you imagine going to the veterinarian, the auto mechanic or the airport and just telling them to provide a service without first asking what it is going to cost?
    Why is that?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Because when you're really, really sick, you don't care! No sane person wants to die......

I had a heart attack 6 years ago and I can tell you that the size of the bill was the last thing on my mind. I can also tell you that if I had not had good insurance, it would have bankrupted me. There was no warning whatsoever. I don't smoke, was not obese, lived an extremely active life style and felt great right up until 'the event'.

People without health insurance who can afford it are playing a form of russian roulette!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Because we have been trained that "the insurance will cover it".

If we had to pay our own health care on an as needed basis, with no govt or insurance company interference... The prices would come down. Some Dr's have already converted to cash only clinics and charging lower rates.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Because when you're really, really sick, you don't care! No sane person wants to die......

I had a heart attack 6 years ago and I can tell you that the size of the bill was the last thing on my mind. I can also tell you that if I had not had good insurance, it would have bankrupted me. There was no warning whatsoever. I don't smoke, was not obese, lived an extremely active life style and felt great right up until 'the event'.

People without health insurance who can afford it are playing a form of russian roulette!-Paul
    What about when we're not "really, really sick"? Do we ask what bloodwork is going to cost? Do we ask what an x-ray costs? Do we ask them what they charge for sutures or any other minor procedure? Why not?
    I tend to agree with Bill that we don't bother comparing costs, because we don't really care. Based on what I read here and in other places, we care about what our insurance costs (unless the cost is hidden in the case of employer-provided policies) and we care about our co-pay. The rest doesn't really matter, because someone else writes those checks.
    I suspect most of us shop around when we are looking for a veterinarian and cost is a very important factor in our decision. I also suspect that very few if any of us shop around for a physician with cost as any part of the decision.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

I think a better question is why do we call it insurance? If you have homeowners insurance, life insurance, liability insurance...they only pay when something happens that is catastrophic. Part of the problem with health insurance is it covers most things related to healthcare....seems like it would be a lot more affordable if it was only for catastrophic healthcare costs.

And how much they cover(%) is tied to how well you go to the doctor and get checked up, at your own costs....

I don't ask because I know. I know what my premiums and co-pays are. I know the percentage and amount the employer pays of the premium (it's printed on the pay statement) Generally a month after any Dr. visit or lab work I recieve an Explanation Of Benefits from my insurance carrier with a break down of the total billed minus any adjustments, the portion covered, and my out of pocket. I use an FSA for my out of pocket so those funds are not taxed.
    It works much the same for my dental coverage.
    All in all it works pretty good for me. My total annual costs for medical and dental are much less than I spend on internet, cell phone, TV and dog games.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    My total annual costs for medical and dental are much less than I spend on internet, cell phone, TV and dog games.
    That will change, it wont be long until its the other way around. Wait until the employer mandate kicks in....................
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    That will change, it wont be long until its the other way around. Wait until the employer mandate kicks in....................
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!!! Chicken Little regards.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    In our case nothing much will change. The employer already does and has always met the requirements of the the provisions of the ACA. I realize that we are fortunate, but so are many others. Yes, there will be changes for other people employed by small companies. The whole mess could have been avoided if universal single payer had been instituted like in most other countries.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Matt,

That is starting to change.

I work in the urgent care division of my company. We see patients that aren't sick enough for the ER and don't have or can't get into their doctor. More insurance companies are setting a seperate co-pay for urgent care visits between the doctors office co-pay and ER co-pay. The minute clinic at the CVS across the parking lot from us is skimming off patients from us because they can charge the doctors office co-pay.

Co-pays for our facility range from nothing to $100. The higher co-pays typically are associtated with plans with an HSA and high deductible. Some ER co-pays are $300 with those plans. For those whithout insurance we charge $65 for the visit with additional charges for procedures, meds, etc. Some people choose to be seen as a self-pay and pay the $65 instead of their co-pay for simple visits since their out-of-pocket cost is less.

Tom
    Tom Wall