The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: OFA Results

Default OFA Results

How does one interpret the OFA number to determine a clear or carrier status when looking at DNA test results for things like EIC or CNM?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Correct me if I am wrong but the Radiologist that reads the x-rays makes the determination. Hopefully the determination will come to you in English....................I run VDD dogs so the x-rays get read in Germany and translated back to English before I see them.
    Don

Go to OFA website, copy and past the number into their search engine. That should work unless there was a typo on the number.
    Daren Galloway

If the last three letters are CAR, the dog is a carrier. Affected dogs don't get a number.

Clear dogs are given a number that ends with VPI, PI, or NOPI meaning the permanent identification status of the dog. If the dog's chip or tattoo was verified by a Vet, it gets a VPI.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Thanks for the replies. I having been looking at different bloodlines on hunting lab pedigree website and in some cases just the ofa number for the EIC/CNM status is provided, but not the status in plain english. The info provided from you folks helps intrepreting that much easier now.

What does the OFA number have to do with the EIC/CNM clearences. OFA is xray and EIC/CNM is sulava or blood.
    OFA is either excellent, good, fair or poor. EIC/CNM is clear , carrier, or affected. The AKC pedigree gives you the OFA#with a E,G,F, P behind it. The E is for excellent and G for good and so on.

If you register EIC or CNM results with OFA, they get a "clearance" number for them on the OFA website. All sorts of clearances/tests results can be registered with OFA: eyes, thyroid, heart, and numerous genetic disease. The OFA number for the genetic tests just aren't as easy to decode as looking at the hip number, without actually looking up the dog on the OFA website.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    What does the OFA number have to do with the EIC/CNM clearences. OFA is xray and EIC/CNM is sulava or blood.
    OFA is either excellent, good, fair or poor. EIC/CNM is clear , carrier, or affected. The AKC pedigree gives you the OFA#with a E,G,F, P behind it. The E is for excellent and G for good and so on.
    I was referring to the OFA Database, excuse my ignorance please.

Ok sorry, just as confused as you. I did not know you could register the health clearances with OFA