The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you want Health Care to be about Profit ?

Default Why do you want Health Care to be about Profit ?

I am old enough to remember the first family Doctor we had made house calls. Doctors in our town were valued members of the community who billed privately and even excepted home cooked meals or deserts from families who were not doing well financially. The Doctors lived in great big houses and for the most part were able to live rewarding lives and be leaders in the community.

Local hospitals were non- profit. Every person was admitted not by any insurance program, but because they were in medical need. Billing was worried about later. Families never lost their homes not being able to pay their hospital bills and payment schedules were made in a way that reflected a families income.

If you worked for a major corporation your health benefit was a perk that attracted you to work for a company. Not today. No pensions, poor health care benefits, and working conditions that only immigrants wanting a better life want to do to provide for their families.

Then it all went wrong. Some capitalist decided I'll make Health Care all about profit. No more Non-profit hospitals, but owned by big business. Then pharmaceuticals started inventing new medicines that were priced so high it started to drag the insurance companies profit down. Hospitals billed $10.00 for a BandAide if you had insurance.

I've got one solution for Health Care Reform. Make it all non-profit if it is going to be a National Program. Yes people working in the field of Health Care in the front line should be well paid. It is just so wrong that CEO's of big Hospital Groups make millions, that Pharmaceuticals rape the public and try to put profit above caring.

Yes I want everyone to have Health Care. I want it back to the way it was in the 1950's. Capitalism and greed when it comes to basic rights do not mix.

Obama Care will never work because they tried to keep Profit involved. Special interest groups ruined a good idea. You can't go back in time, but you can learn from the past.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 03-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    I am old enough to remember the first family Doctor we had made house calls. Doctors in our town were valued members of the community who billed privately and even excepted home cooked meals or deserts from families who were not doing well financially. The Doctors lived in great big houses and for the most part were able to live rewarding lives and be leaders in the community.

Local hospitals were non- profit. Every person was admitted not by any insurance program, but because they were in medical need. Billing was worried about later. Families never lost their homes not being able to pay their hospital bills and payment schedules were made in a way that reflected a families income.

If you worked for a major corporation your health benefit was a perk that attracted you to work for a company. Not today. No pensions, poor health care benefits, and working conditions that only immigrants wanting a better life want to do to provide for their families.

Then it all went wrong. Some capitalist decided I'll make Health Care all about profit. No more Non-profit hospitals, but owned by big business. Then pharmaceuticals started inventing new medicines that were priced so high it started to drag the insurance companies profit down. Hospitals billed $10.00 for a BandAide if you had insurance.

I've got one solution for Health Care Reform. Make it all non-profit if it is going to be a National Program. Yes people working in the field of Health Care in the front line should be well paid. It is just so wrong that CEO's of big Hospital Groups make millions, that Pharmaceuticals rape the public and try to put profit above caring.

Yes I want everyone to have Health Care. I want it back to the way it was in the 1950's. Capitalism and greed when it comes to basic rights do not mix.

Obama Care will never work because they tried to keep Profit involved. Special interest groups ruined a good idea. You can't go back in time, but you can learn from the past.
    Very well said. Magnum, you get it, most here don't. You have a good delivery of your message. I don't, i have a quick temper and get bristled easily. Greed is what has caused things to go downhill in this country. I am anxious to see the other members here respond to this thread

Healthcare in this country was better during the pre-HMO-PPO era.

People paid for office visit and small procedures. Insurance was only used for bigger health issues such as surgery.

No one was denied medical care.

But, like most things, once the Lobbyist started pushing the HMP PPO System, cost skyrocketed and MalPractice suits became a new revenue stream for attorneys.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Yes there is the answer, we need doc hollywood where we can trade a pig for a band aid on a stubbed toe. I think I'll stick with capitalism over socialized medicine any time. I for one do not want the Government to have a hand in my healthcare in any form or fashion. The Government is incompetent. They can't even give proper management oversight over a contractor to get a website built. And the dems want the Government in charge of your healthcare, no thank you very much.

I'll go out on a limb and say how about putting the breaks on the frivolous lawsuits that drive up the malpractice insurance cost and expanding the free market place. Also allowing insurance to be bought across state lines would go a long way to increase competition and decrease cost. I do agree that folks with pre-exisitng conditions should not be denied coverage, nor should there be limits on lifetime costs. Allowing 26 year olds on parent plans is also good provided they are full time students. Other than that screw odumbocare, or a single payer system, or anything of the like.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

HERE, HERE! Hooray Magnum! Very well put! You get it.

I'm not sure I agree that "ObamaCare" will never work but I certainly agree it's not completely working now and won't in it's present form. But I believe there is a lot of tweaking and fine tuning to be done. Any change in policy of this magnitude has always needed to be modified to address glitches that arise. That's an ongoing process.

The problem with ACA is that it doesn't go far enough. Call me whatever you want, but there is no room for the profit motive in health care. We would ALL be better off in the long run if it were completely socialized. (and to all those who say their providers will quit if they can no longer name their price without restriction, I say, "good riddance". If that's all the commitment they have to their profession, I don't want them for my doctor!)

But of course, our system of government doesn't allow for anyone to dictate in that fashion. We need to reach compromises as best we can and with a country philosophically divided as deeply as we are, this is what we get. The ACA is a relatively modest change yet there are those who believe it is bringing the country to it's knees.

Sometimes wonder if we would be better off with a "benevolent king".

JS
    Dont wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve. Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    HERE, HERE! Hooray Magnum! Very well put! You get it.

I'm not sure I agree that "ObamaCare" will never work but I certainly agree it's not completely working now and won't in it's present form. But I believe there is a lot of tweaking and fine tuning to be done. Any change in policy of this magnitude has always needed to be modified to address glitches that arise. That's an ongoing process.

The problem with ACA is that it doesn't go far enough. Call me whatever you want, but there is no room for the profit motive in health care. We would ALL be better off in the long run if it were completely socialized. (and to all those who say their providers will quit if they can no longer name their price without restriction, I say, "good riddance". If that's all the commitment they have to their profession, I don't want them for my doctor!)

But of course, our system of government doesn't allow for anyone to dictate in that fashion. We need to reach compromises as best we can and with a country philosophically divided as deeply as we are, this is what we get. The ACA is a relatively modest change yet there are those who believe it is bringing the country to it's knees.

Sometimes wonder if we would be better off with a "benevolent king".

JS
    I'm sure there would be a few doctors still left around but certainly not enough.............unfortunately we all don't live in bubbleland where everything is peachy.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    I'm sure there would be a few doctors still left around but certainly not enough.............unfortunately we all don't live in bubbleland where everything is peachy.
    Yes, I am fortunate to live where I do for a lot of reasons. (weather is not one of them ) But I also have 5 daughters. One is a PA in Florida. One is a PA in California. One is an RN here locally. One of my sons-in-law is an ER pediatrician. I have a fairly diverse insight to the medical practitioners views and I have heard NONE of the fears from them that I hear on this forum. No, they are not completely confident in the ACA in it's present form but DO believe it is an improvement in the right direction. And they tell me most of their colleagues are in agreement. None of them have seen ANY increase in care providers leaving the field.

I have heard more complaints from them about feeling pressure from their doctor/clinic employers to "push patients through faster" ... "in and out, in and out, in and out"'. But these complaints have been ONGOING FOR YEARS, long before this act was implemented.

JS
    Dont wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve. Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

...​ at the bridge

Seriously? Why not just have the government impose a "maximum wage"? Let's just limit income for physicians to $50,000 a year and nurses to $10.00 per hour. Let's write a law that says that a month's supply of any drug cannot cost more than $15.00. Now health care just got a lot cheaper. Problem solved!
    It doesn't matter that nobody will be willing to put forth the effort to become a doctor or a nurse. It doesn't matter that the drug companies no longer have any incentive to go through the incredibly costly process of bringing a new drug to market.
    While we're at it, why not just have the government dictate everyone's wage? Central planning has worked so well in other parts of the world.
    It scares the crap right out of me how ignorant so many of my fellow citizens are when it comes to our economy or how and why businesses operate. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Seriously? Why not just have the government impose a "maximum wage"? Let's just limit income for physicians to $50,000 a year and nurses to $10.00 per hour. Let's write a law that says that a month's supply of any drug cannot cost more than $15.00. Now health care just got a lot cheaper. Problem solved!
    It doesn't matter that nobody will be willing to put forth the effort to become a doctor or a nurse. It doesn't matter that the drug companies no longer have any incentive to go through the incredibly costly process of bringing a new drug to market.
    While we're at it, why not just have the government dictate everyone's wage? Central planning has worked so well in other parts of the world.
    It scares the crap right out of me how ignorant so many of my fellow citizens are when it comes to our economy or how and why businesses operate. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.
    Ding ding ding we have a winner. Well said Matt.......

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Hey, relax. Who put those numbers out??? No one said doctors don't deserve to be in the upper income level.
    Drug companies??? Let's start talking about them like we talk about the rest of the "welfare leeches".

I wonder how much is spent by hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, pharmacuetical companies etc. JUST on TV advertising alone. And how about the duplication of effort involved in technology, research, etc.

There is beacoup waste in the "profit-motivated" health care industry. And as for those "professionals" who are insulted by efforts to bring things under control, I repeat; Don't let the door hit you in the azz.

JS
    Last edited by JS; 03-25-2014 at 02:27 PM.

...​ at the bridge