The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swim by

Will do, thanks.

This is what I do the second I think pup is gonna cheat on the way back. You said he has been through TT so it shouldn't be a problem. When he attemps to cheat Whistle sit him. Cast him back to the pile. Sit him again. Call him to you. If he cheats again. Whistle sit. "NO" cast him back to the pile. When he tries to cheat the other way repeat the whistle, "NO". By the third or fouth time of you not letting him get more than 5 steps the wrong way the only thing left in his mind in straight back. I don't use any collar pressure for this. 95% of the dogs will understand the "NO" correction. Rinse and repeat until it is muscle memory to get right back in the water.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

Sounds good, was hoping to find another alternative to him swimming with the check cord. He's not shy of the water at all just didn't seem like the best idea of leaving the rope in the water for him to get caught up in, and yes I am using a floating cord. Thanks.
    Find a skinny piece of water about 25 or 30 feet or so wide,
    Sit him on one side with a long line attached
    Your on the other side with the other end of the line
    command here and hold your finger down on the button ( lower level) until a split second before he hits the water. Give him freebees when he gets right in and force when he balks. its quick and easy. Gradually make it more difficult by moving near the end of the pond as to tempt him to take a few steps to run around. They learn this fast,,,
    Your dog should be CC to here so he understands.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

rope yes
    BUT...
    does fowl dogs have you do any disciplined casting (handle with bumper in mouth) before swimby?
    if the pup is on land, on other side of pond, with bumper in mouth, and has had some D.C. then he will know what you want when you stop him and cast him back to the pile and then call him from pile to you. If not he may think he is trying to be good and get back to you as soon as he can.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I teach a dog to return the length of the channel so the width is usually no problem. If the dog tries to cheat coming back, just stop the dog, walk around and take the dog back to where you want them to enter, sit them, go back to your spot and give a here or a come in whistle.

I sure as hell wouldn't recommend rope combined with water, to a newish trainer...............................

Pup gets tangled up even once, and you've got a water nightmare that won't easily be forgotten by the pup.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I sure as hell wouldn't recommend rope combined with water, to a newish trainer...............................

Pup gets tangled up even once, and you've got a water nightmare that won't easily be forgotten by the pup.
    Agreed, I'd try everything I could to avoid a newby using a rope in swimby. When I do SB my first over cast is followed by a tossed bumper that splashes a few feet in front of the pile. Then hustle your ass down to the other end and blow the whistle right as the dog is opening his mouth to grab the bumper The dog is more likely to turn around and return to you via water if his feet don't touch dry land

Use a damn rope AND us the e-collar with some conviction.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Use a damn rope AND us the e-collar with some conviction.
    Great advice......if you want the newbie to get his dog tangled up in a rope in the water and start panicking while he is getting shocked.

Possible Recipe to ruin a dogs water attitude. Attitude is extremely important when beginning water work and blinds.

I would recommend getting with an experienced person to guide them through this stage; PARTIULARLY if the rope is needed

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    I've been following fowl dawgs and recently tried to start swim by but ran into a problem. My dog will go across the pond on the line sent but then once across the pond he will run all the way around back to me. Only way I've been able to correct this is with a check cord to influence him back into the water to swim back to me. I have for now gone back to double T until I have a better plan for swim by. The pond is somewhat small but it is the only pond I've been able to find close enough to be of use, maybe 30'x 50 when it is full.
    Can't tell for sure by the original post if you're talking about the back pile or a side pile.

Assuming it's the back pile (or either, really) do you have your piles right down at the water's edge? Dog shouldn't even need to get all fours out of the water to pick one up.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON