The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swim by

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Can't tell for sure by the original post if you're talking about the back pile or a side pile.

Assuming it's the back pile (or either, really) do you have your piles right down at the water's edge? Dog shouldn't even need to get all fours out of the water to pick one up.

JS
    +1 Now there is very good suggestion. Same should be applied when casting the dog into the water. Start at the waters edge rather than back ten feet to avoid the dog trying to cheat the bank when cast.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Getting a dog through swimby and water force is generally an unpleasant experience for dogs. You are there to get the lessons through to them as well as win several key battles over the course of about a week.
    Any mending of attitude that may be needed as a result is addressed subsequently.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

You should try getting him to return like Pete say on a skinny piece of land with the rope. Perfect it and move on to the larger area you are using.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Getting a dog through swimby and water force is generally an unpleasant experience for dogs. You are there to get the lessons through to them as well as win several key battles over the course of about a week.
    Any mending of attitude that may be needed as a result is addressed subsequently.
    I considered you to be "one of the smartest tacks on the board"; however I believe I may have to re
    evaluate that opinion based on your advice to this NEWBIE!!

I just think you're over concerned about a newbie handling a rope that's all.
    I also think the benefits of the rope out weigh the minimal risk.
    It only takes making 1 big rats nest and you'll be a better bait caster.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Does anyone shore break their dog?

http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj11.html

Kinda thought that was done well before SB to prevent such OP problem
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I have done swim by on 6 dogs and am about to start the 7th, and I have never used a rope. Never seen any program that does. Before I do swim by, my dogs have had a lot of straight forward out and back marks to encourage them to come straight back. Pat Nolan has some great ideals about teaching parts of the swim by first as does Bill Hillman. There are some nice video clips on Both of their websites. Although some corrections are going to be necessary, keeping the dogs attitude up during this drill is very important to me. I don't want a dog to fear the water. This drill should make it clear to the dog what is expected but not by beating it into them.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I believe that if your FTP and STP and T work is solid, Force to water is relatively easy. Swimming by should be taught and then reinforced so should also not necessarily be "unpleasant"
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I just think you're over concerned about a newbie handling a rope that's all.I think you are under estimating the possibility of newbie mishandling a rope and collar pressure; and more so the inherent damage that can be done if the dog gets tangled up & panics. What is the risk/reward of having newbie forge blindly ahead vs seeking help?
    I also think the benefits of the rope out weigh the minimal risk. Again I think you are under estimating the potential risk and fallout from tangled up collar pressured panic stricken dog
    It only takes making 1 big rats nest and you'll be a better bait caster. If you are equating rope handling on swim by with bait casting I;m guessing your hands on swim by experience is limited

My comments in red

Personally I've never used a rope during swim by. My dogs have been doing up and outs back through the water before swim by every time. I do however use a rope on short water marks if that issue presents itself. I find it's easier to hammer out that bump in the road before we get to swim by. USE THE ROPE