The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Treatment/Canine Arthritis

Default Laser Treatment/Canine Arthritis

Has anyone had this process used on their dog in treatment of arthritis?
    If so, could you share results?
    I did a search, not a lot of detail.

Thanks,

stan b

Yes. $40 per treatment or a bundle of 6 for $200 from my vet. Have done a couple dozen sessions. Sometimes it seems to do some good ... other times nothing apparent.

This is a 13 yr. old who's had a lot of wear & tear including a couple moderate injuries. They recommend 2 or 3 per week for a couple weeks to start, then taper off to what works. We supplement it with Rimadyl, fish oil, Dasuquin, frequent rubdowns with a vibrator/massager, and Tramadol when necessary. I liken it to glucosamine as to being able to tell how it is really working.

It's only money.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I've tried it along with acupuncture. I don't know if you have tried Adequan either but I have had even better success with the Adequan. Google it. My recollection of the lazer was when my dog had some muscle strains and when she was hurt in rehab for CCL therapy. It isn't very expensive and seemed to benefit my dog the most when she pulled her back muscles. She seemed to get some relief. If I had to rate those three I'd say Adequan would be number one followed by either acupuncture or lazer dependent on which seemed to help the dog the most. Combined which ever one works best with the Adequan and that might be your most cost effective treatment option. JMO

Jim

Have had mixed results, too. It seemed to work really well for soft tissue injuries, but not so well for arthritis. Adequan worked the best for arthritis. Acupuncture worked better than laser for arthritis for us.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Got laser treatments for Ben when he was about 10yrs old. Had a bad slip/fall on ice and pulled muscles in back and groin. He also saw a chiropractor at the same time. Seemed to help, along with exercises he had to do at home.

What really helped was some sort of pulse therapy we had done. He had to be put under as it was uncomfortable/strong. It totally helped. I don't recall exactly what it was called, but could find out. It cost a pretty penny though. Well worth it, as JS said, "it's only money"
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

Acupuncture...... Go see Dr. Jeff's holistic vet, Dr. Ann. We love her. Adequan is also good.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

You might've seen this post about my littlest Chesapeake, Tanzy HERE. She had surgery in November to clean up/repair damage from 2 ruptured vertebrae in her neck that left her totally paralyzed. When I picked her up from the neurosurgeon's she still could not move anything except her head; she couldn't even wag her tail. She spent a week at a rehab facility where the PT guy used the laser, mostly to speed the healing of her 10" incision, but also on her back & legs, along with range of motion exercises and an underwater treadmill. Even though the surgeon said it would take 4 to 6 weeks before she'd even be able to stand on her own, she walked (albeit a bit unsteadily, but on her own without support) out of the rehab facility less than 2 weeks after surgery. I continued her rehab on an outpatient basis, along with visits to a great local holistic vet I found, so she had the cold laser 3 or 4x a week, plus acupuncture at the local vet and treadmill time at the rehab vet's.

The bonus: I started taking my oldest CBR Puffin to the local vet, she gave me a very attractive package deal for doing laser treatment and acupuncture on both Tanzy and Puffin. Puffin's almost 14 and very arthritic/wobbly in the back end. She had not been able to walk up the steps for about 2 months without help and after 3 of the acupuncture and laser treatments, she can easily navigate them and I can tell, moves much more freely.

In your shoes, I'd sure give the laser a try and if you can pair it with some acupuncture, you may be quite pleased with the results for Elvis. You might be interested in THIS article I wrote on "alternative" veterinary therapies for a local magazine; it is a little known but growing part of veterinary medicine. This is a picture from the story of old Puffin getting a laser treatment from Dr Becky with her protective goggles on.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Marenich View Post
    What really helped was some sort of pulse therapy we had done. He had to be put under as it was uncomfortable/strong. It totally helped. I don't recall exactly what it was called, but could find out. It cost a pretty penny though. Well worth it, as JS said, "it's only money"
    Extra corporeal shock wave therapy

I have a 10 year old with a shoulder/bicep injury. It did nothing for him at all. I had asked a vet friend about it and he said that he has seen it do great things, but my experience is that is did nothing for my dog.

We use it a lot at our hospital and it really does seem to work well in many cases. Adequan is good as well and don't forget non steroidals have their place, too.