The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Ungentlemanly Gundog?" (No TM or registration needed)

Default The "Ungentlemanly Gundog?" (No TM or registration needed)

The cover of this month's Field with commentary by the editor alongside. Wow. Or should I say "Gorblimey!"

MG
    Mix & match breeds

The cleverest dog I've owned came from a mucky match in Dulverton. Somehow, a collie x alsatian had mated with a whippet, producing a small lurcher that could nail rabbits, retrieve an egg without cracking it and translate the Book of Deuteronomy from Hebrew if asked. It was a stunningly useful animal that cost practically nothing: then, as now, pedigree dogs commanded the money.

Yet today people are deliberately mixing their own gundogs to gain that cocktail of brains, performance and health that characterised my lurcher. And if you've ever despaired of labradors that won't face cover or springers that are nuttier than KP's finest, read our piece on crossbreeds. A hotchpotch hound might just be the solution.

Four one to Stoke at home and now this ... wrist slashing time.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

What a terrible message to put out there... I have no issues with mutts, owned a couple throughout the years and they served their purpose fine (as pets). Deliberately mixing finely tuned gun dogs isn't going to give you the best of both... You're going back to square 1.

Don't do it, Eug - not on account of the Villa. I mean, a Plummer x Patterdale cross might be just the thing for the Baggies' midfield defense nipping at heels and achilles tendons, but the Claret and Blue have at least kept clear of the rat pack in the drop zone. Next year...next year...both our gundogs and our Throstles and Vanillans on the wing will be of better pedigree, let's trust in that. Gotta be better'n trusting in permanent relegation by wrist-slitting.

Speaking of wings, remind me in your best Brummie why the h*ll we ever let Odemwingie go...???

MG

Some outdoor writers have the same malady as some regular journalists..... they are idiots with a problem of figuring out what to write for each deadline....
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Like when Angus Phillips wrote about "the best retriever man around, Jack Jagoda?"

But I digress. The Field is essentially an aristo horse & hound and gundog chronicle - deadlines don't really apply when you're venerated almost much as the royal family (the royal family and their gundogs) over there. Don't know what's got into them with this cockamamie notion of conjuring up your own "breed."

MG

What's the matter ????? Great idea ! Labrapointer ! A Dog that won't retrieve AND won't point ! Perfect !

Cant fix ..... well you know.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Wow. Haven't received my current issue yet, but my favorite magazine may just have dropped a peg or two.

You missed the more important article in the issue. Tweed in vogue on catwalk.
    Last edited by Breck; 03-25-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    The cover of this month's Field with commentary by the editor alongside. Wow. Or should I say "Gorblimey!"

MG
    Mix & match breeds

The cleverest dog I've owned came from a mucky match in Dulverton. Somehow, a collie x alsatian had mated with a whippet, producing a small lurcher that could nail rabbits, retrieve an egg without cracking it and translate the Book of Deuteronomy from Hebrew if asked. It was a stunningly useful animal that cost practically nothing: then, as now, pedigree dogs commanded the money.

Yet today people are deliberately mixing their own gundogs to gain that cocktail of brains, performance and health that characterised my lurcher. And if you've ever despaired of labradors that won't face cover or springers that are nuttier than KP's finest, read our piece on crossbreeds. A hotchpotch hound might just be the solution.
    Perhaps it's just a matter of timeing ??? ... is it that that guy is just 100 years late ?

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...l=1#post497615

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 03-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"