The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Spots

I would not think any antibiotic needs to be given for an average hot spot. In my experience shaving the hair around them is first step, then treat w/ Vetericin or there are other spray-ons just for hot spots. Any good pet supply should carry both. In the case of a spot on tail I would maybe use a cone for a few days if the dog is licking the spot.

EMT spray Gel.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

One other thing that will be often overlooked as to a reason hot spots occur is dietary fat,specifically beef fat. Some of these hunting dogs seem to respond to a meal with beef fat by breaking out in hot spots, especially retrievers. Most likely due to the high omega 6 concentrations in it. Darn grain fed cattle versus open range.

Quote Originally Posted by dr tim View Post
    One other thing that will be often overlooked as to a reason hot spots occur is dietary fat,specifically beef fat. Some of these hunting dogs seem to respond to a meal with beef fat by breaking out in hot spots, especially retrievers. Most likely due to the high omega 6 concentrations in it. Darn grain fed cattle versus open range.
    dr tim,

Do you recommend a particular brand of high quality dog food without the high omega 6 concentrations from beef fat?

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Default Hot Spots

I would be curious to know what the original posters friend is feeding this dog with the hot spot. At the base of the tail can also be caused from fleas. Dogs will chew at their skin causing a hot spot. I also agree in a diet change. I haven't had a hot spot since I stopped feeding any food with Wheat, Corn, Soybean meal to start with. Most grain free foods would work well. I have used Canidae All Life Stage food for many years with great results. No ear allergy symptoms either.
    I also found a great supplement. Animal Naturals K9 Show Stopper. It is a multi use food supplement to help lots of issues. I buy from http://www.k9power.com
    It is certainly worth a try for the spring and summer months.
    Last edited by MikeB; 03-27-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by dr tim View Post
    Not to be over looked is "Chicken" allergy. The why our dogs become sensitive goes right to our food supply in this country. Feed lots, chicken farming today, all are done in a un-natural manner.

A change in diet with good fatty acid balance can help with future outbreaks. A dog food like dr. Tim produces can be a big help if you are buying a cheap store bought brand. feeding Dr. Tim's food would make future outbreaks less if food related.

A simple flea bite can cause a Hot Spot if a dog is allergic to fleas. So can any insect. The breaking of the skin under fur causes staff bacteria to develop quickly causing the moist dermatitis. One either needs to shave the fur surrounding the area or dry it out quickly using a Hebiclens solution and drying the fur then applying Gold Bond powder.. If you have a small Hot Spot the EMT Gel Spray can work.

Hot Spots suck.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Thank you everybody for the responses. i will get back to you about the food he eats.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by riskyriver View Post
    I would not think any antibiotic needs to be given for an average hot spot. In my experience shaving the hair around them is first step, then treat w/ Vetericin or there are other spray-ons just for hot spots. Any good pet supply should carry both. In the case of a spot on tail I would maybe use a cone for a few days if the dog is licking the spot.
    The reason I have used it in the past is that I travel. I can't always rely on my hubby to remember to treat it or give the meds. Luckily, it's rarely a problem.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

My friend went to the dermatology vet yesterday. They discussed all of the great responses given here. They are going to try a few -the antibiotic injection (all done by the vet) and blue scrub from surgery. She was feeding grain free and now is feeding ProPlan Salmon and Rice. Thanks again
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray