The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding puppy

Default Feeding puppy

My pup is 9 weeks old. So far I have been feeding him 1 cup, 3 times a day of the Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20. Like most labs he is food crazy, I am just wondering at what point I should begin increasing his food. We visited the vet last Friday and he weighed 12 pounds.

I would feed him a quality puppy food. Then look on the bag for the feeding recommendation chart. Usually based on ultimate dog size and current weight. Then adjust depending on how the dog looks and his stools.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

The pro plan sport is an all life stage food. That is what was recommended to me from the trainer I bought him from. If that isn't what I should feed, do you have any suggestions?

Generally speaking, I've found 1 cup of food per month of age works pretty well thru at least 4-5 mos. Males tend to level off at 5 mos/ 5 C. The use of a good probiotic may reduce the need for that much food though, so always go by the feel of ribs etc.

I have had no problems with the PPP Sport All Life Stages 30/20 and fed according to bag + or - ideal body conditions.
    All Life stages is just that.

3 cups a day for a nine week old puppy is an awful lot of food, especially a 30/20 like ProPlan. Or do you mean 1 cup divided into three feedings? I've raised a lot of puppies on that feed and had good luck with it, and it's what I usually recommend. It's important to keep the pup lean, not roly-poly chubby.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

For his weight range, the bag says to feed him about 1 cup. However the bag also says to feed growing puppies as much as they will eat (could be a gimick like the rinse and repeat shampoo deal). He has no problem at all finishing his 3, 1 cup servings. His stools are great, and you can still easily feel his ribs. He has the plump puppy belly, and he gets ample exercise daily.

Might be a dumb question but seeing that your name is "AU", are you in the Auburn University area? Im currently working with a 6 mo. old and always looking for someone else to go with.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

I sure am in Auburn. I've been looking for people to train with as well.

The writing on the bag is a good guideline, but it sounds like you're also watching the pup carefully. Sounds like you're on the right track with the food. Also, hunger can be a great training aid for a 9 week old pup.