RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Feeding puppy

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Tater 7 
#1 ·
My pup is 9 weeks old. So far I have been feeding him 1 cup, 3 times a day of the Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20. Like most labs he is food crazy, I am just wondering at what point I should begin increasing his food. We visited the vet last Friday and he weighed 12 pounds.

#2 ·
I would feed him a quality puppy food. Then look on the bag for the feeding recommendation chart. Usually based on ultimate dog size and current weight. Then adjust depending on how the dog looks and his stools.

#5 ·
I have had no problems with the PPP Sport All Life Stages 30/20 and fed according to bag + or - ideal body conditions.
All Life stages is just that.

#6 ·
3 cups a day for a nine week old puppy is an awful lot of food, especially a 30/20 like ProPlan. Or do you mean 1 cup divided into three feedings? I've raised a lot of puppies on that feed and had good luck with it, and it's what I usually recommend. It's important to keep the pup lean, not roly-poly chubby.

#7 ·
For his weight range, the bag says to feed him about 1 cup. However the bag also says to feed growing puppies as much as they will eat (could be a gimick like the rinse and repeat shampoo deal). He has no problem at all finishing his 3, 1 cup servings. His stools are great, and you can still easily feel his ribs. He has the plump puppy belly, and he gets ample exercise daily.

#10 ·
The writing on the bag is a good guideline, but it sounds like you're also watching the pup carefully. Sounds like you're on the right track with the food. Also, hunger can be a great training aid for a 9 week old pup.

#12 ·
When mine go home at 8 wks, they typically are eating 2-2.5C a day, so the 3 isn't out of the ballpark if he's an active pup. The probios/digestive enzymes often reduce that need though. I had one litter last year that peaked at 3-3.5C a day at 4 mos. Some dogs use their food better than others.

#14 · (Edited)
AUgunner. message me back on ALducks.com. I just started training with some people in Auburn. can't PM people on here yet. We would be glad to have you bring your puppy out. 3 cups if food a day does sound like an awful lot of food. I feed my 70lb yellow lab 1 1/2 cups of food in the morning and 1 1/2 cups of food in the evenings and she maintains her weight with no problems. Also, If your not going to be able to feed your pup 3 times a day from now on I would suggest cutting it back to twice a day to get his metabolism used to it. Thats what my vet told me atleast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.