The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 5 mo old loss of appetite

Default 5 mo old loss of appetite

I left for a month to go and guide snow goose hunters in NWMO. My gf kept almost the same routine. Holly our BLF did start losing her k-9 and molar teeth. Holly would only eat half her food then graze back and eat more as she wanted. Before she would woof down her food. Her weight it fine. Was it her teeth? Loss of me? Lack of training routine? Any thoughts?

Thanks mike

Sounds like teething. Try to wet food and let sit to soften when this happens. Had to do this for two o our dogs.

My dogs won't eat when I have to leave them for extended periods. Teething also wouldn't help. How is she doing since you have gotten back?

I returned Sunday night. Her Monday feedings were slow and drawn out. I picked up some plain yogurt to add to her food again. We did this as a pup to fight any bacteria. She ate all her food this morning. So hopefully it continues while she finishes her last few teeth.

Instead of yogurt (which will change your calcium levels in the diet), I'd just use a good probiotic/digestive enzyme. Alfalfa powder is also a good way to enhance appetite-- just sprinkle over the kibble. Great source of B vitamins too.

Im currently having the same problem with my 6 mo. old. She will eat half of it, then go get a bite every now and then until its gone.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Don't let them self feed. Put the bowl down and if they stop eating and leave the bowl, pick it up and don't let them have any more til next feeding time, and repeat. It won't take long before they will learn to eat it all.

At 5 months old, I'd bet teething discomfort.

Agree w/ picking up the dish once they walk away. Let them get hungry and let them know your feeding schedule is yours, not theirs'! I let my first one do that, and then came #2 and 3... suffice to say #1 learned fast she eats now or will be waiting 10 hrs more or so.