The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Judging

Default Field Trial Judging

Can some of the many FT Judges on here explain to me how marks are judged. I'm familiar with how Hunt Test marks are judged, but I'm just starting to run in Q's and am curious in the differences. Are they judged with a numerical scoring like HT's? Thanks.

No. You are judged against the field. If you mean how the judges come to a conclusion on what wins. Simply put, its the one with the least amount of lead on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    No. You are judged against the field. If you mean how the judges come to a conclusion on what wins. Simply put, its the one with the least amount of lead on the paper.
    Makes sense, thanks.

Download and study this PDF file for an education.
    John Cavanaugh Judges Information. Version 5.0
    http://www.weebegoldens.com/JudgesMa...sion%205.0.pdf

edit...
    And another manual from John's partner in crime Mitch.
    AKC Field Trials One Judge's Perspective
    http://www.findretrievers.com/news/w...-HANDBOOK2.pdf
    Last edited by Breck; 03-26-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Thanks Breck. I'll check them out. I've read the rulebook but it doesn't show much as far as the judging details of marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun Kamakazi View Post
    Thanks Breck. I'll check them out. I've read the rulebook but it doesn't show much as far as the judging details of marking.
    Study the 2 docs I posted for a few days. Then come back with questions.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Breck two icons. I'm glad you posted. I'm downloading right now. I do judge but I only allow myself to judge the qual and derby. These two books will be invaluable. I wish Cavanaugh would give a seminar like in the old days. Even though he has been out of the game for awhile everything he says will not be outdated. I didn't know Mitch was his partner in crime. I had a great time at the chessie specialty with Mitch and Linda.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun Kamakazi View Post
    Recognizing and evaluating both ends of the spectrum is easy, exceptional vs virtual failure. Since we are judging comparative performances the taking and keeping of accurate notes is imperative. Some judges use numerical scores, some use letter scores, and some like me just rely on notes and diagrams. Consistency is the key to judging so I find using scores difficult, to be consistent through 50 to 100 performances is hard. In the final analysis you must compare dog to dog at which point scoring systems give way to subjective evaluation.

Their is no standard to judge marks. There are as many systems and opinions on this as there are judges.

If I were you I would begin keeping a book and noting the tests that a particular judge sets up. There will be a pattern to most. When you get this judge again, it may provide some information on what to train on. It may also give you information on which judges you want to run from!
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

I draw pretty detailed diagrams with notes in my judging book. I notice some folks are able to be more streamlined but I don't trust my memory very well.

I do use a tally sheet, where I lump each dog in each series into a one of 5 group from "Excellent" to basically failing. I tried using a number from 1-10 for each early on but found that what looks like a 6 for the first dog may turn out to be a 9 as things get going--too much precision lead to inconsistency, so I go with my 'buckets'. This is just a short hand though. At the end of the series, it saves me time since I know which dogs are sure call backs and which are not and which I need to take a deeper look at and perhaps discuss with my co-judge. It is pretty wholistic based on my gut, but seems to work pretty well and every minute you can save on callbacks is helpful.

On the last series, I try to take advantage of the time during the swim back to start looking at my diagrams and come up with, hopefully, a rough order of placements for the dogs that are left. Some times things are fairly obvious and I can review it all again and pretty quickly come up with my placements. Some times it is closer and more review needs to be done. So far, I have been lucky and never had any major disagreements with my co-judge. We may not have the same order and have to talk about them and discuss the whys of one dog vs another--this is when I find that detailed drawings are very helpful, for me. Like I said, though, some excellent judges seem to do very well with a lot less drawing.