The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Judging

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Being an architect I tend to draw very detailed drawings.
    I keep detailed drawings. Yours are detailed and good at the same time if you are an architect--and probably on a 1/16" scale . If I showed you my drawings, you would probably have no clue what you were looking at ("That is a tree?") but at least I know how I render things even if it doesn't look much like what it is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I am saying that I have been doing this since 1971 and you do not have a clue.
    I have to admit I am a little taken a back by the condescension and defensiveness. Not sure what warranted that. I may not have a clue. I wasn't implying that changes needed to be made. I was asking a question out of genuine curiosity based on observations from reading dialogue on this board. Hopefully someone else can answer the question.

I find it odd that you have so much interest in judging yet you have never run a field trial nor do you have a prospect at this point. I think it should be obvious that field trial events do not lend themselves to accurate video recording. To support what you think (based on an equine arena event) might improve judging would require huge sums of money and manpower which is not available. Every field trial in the country (8-10 every weekend) would require a video crew with multiple cameras recording 7-10 hours daily and that for just one stake. Then a qualified person would spend hours reviewing those videos. Retriever field trials are generally a sport of gentlemanly men and women and we have done fairly well with the current system for almost 75 years. Are there bad judges, certainly, are there dishonest judges, occasionally but the general population tends to identify and weed those out given time.

EdA--Yesssss.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I find it odd that you have so much interest in judging yet you have never run a field trial nor do you have a prospect at this point. I think it should be obvious that field trial events do not lend themselves to accurate video recording. To support what you think (based on an equine arena event) might improve judging would require huge sums of money and manpower which is not available. Every field trial in the country (8-10 every weekend) would require a video crew with multiple cameras recording 7-10 hours daily and that for just one stake. Then a qualified person would spend hours reviewing those videos. Retriever field trials are generally a sport of gentlemanly men and women and we have done fairly well with the current system for almost 75 years. Are there bad judges, certainly, are there dishonest judges, occasionally but the general population tends to identify and weed those out given time.
    Ed thanks for the response.

To clarify a few a things, I do in fact have a prospect and do in fact plan on trying to run some FTs in the near future. I have purchased a fine dog that has a derby win and a RJ and several Jams in the Q(has run all age and is not a wash out). So my interest is not fleeting. I have an affliction of trying to learn as much as possible about any endeavor I involve myself in.

For further clarity, I certainly was not suggesting that FTs need to be videoed. I am not sure why you are hanging up on the videoing portion of my original post. I also think your lack of knowledge of equine events and their judging protocols caused for some miscommunication in to what I was speaking to. No one reviews the videos from an equine event. They are just used as back up in some instances should a complaint be filed. I realize that this wouldn't work for FTs, again it was just an example of some controls put in place, not a suggestion of something that should be done.

My main point was that it seems that there is not a general consensus on the application of certain rules/standards from what I have seen here and gathered from those I have spoken with actively involved in the sport. My curiosity begged the question as to why that was, and were there any controls in place to create such a consensus. I readily admit to my lack of knowledge and that this observation could be misguided. That is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Migillicutty View Post
    Ed thanks for the response.

My main point was that it seems that there is not a general consensus on the application of certain rules/standards from what I have seen here and gathered from those I have spoken with actively involved in the sport. My curiosity begged the question as to why that was, and were there any controls in place to create such a consensus. I readily admit to my lack of knowledge and that this observation could be misguided. That is why I asked.
    Migillicutty,
    You need to realize this forum is not the real world. We take obscure points and present hypothetical scenarios that wouldn't happen in a thousand years, then argue them to death. I would bet that if you took two polar opposite posters and placed them in chairs as co-judges for a weekend field trial, there would be general consensus. Most of the things that get argued over ad infinitum would be readily agreed on if we were actually standing (sitting) there in person.

This sport is great, but could greatly use an infusion of young enthusiastic individuals with newer ideas.
    Macgillicutty and his type need to be encouraged and welcomed, not ridiculed and scorned

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    This sport is great, but could greatly use an infusion of young enthusiastic individuals with newer ideas.
    Macgillicutty and his type need to be encouraged and welcomed, not ridiculed and scorned
    Is there a full moon? Total eclipse of the sun?

Healy and I have something on which we agree wholeheartedly...
    Bill Davis

at the end of the day all I want is:

1. a fair test, where my dog's safety will never be in question

2. the test will not favor one style of training over another

3. my dog will be judged fairly against the work of others on that test

4. the test will not be devised to trick or fool the dog, and my dog will be given every opportunity to show that they are able to challenge the test and excel
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Is there a full moon? Total eclipse of the sun?

Healy and I have something on which we agree wholeheartedly...
    In fact, I think a glacier must have covered Hades. I agree with BOTH of you and doubt that I have ever agreed with either of you! As one of the relatively new people, I definitely see a need for some open discussion and consideration of new ideas to keep this game alive. A couple of my mentors have been around as long or longer than any of us RTF'rs, and they also see a need for some big changes in the old ways. My comment is certainly not based on any sour grapes. I have appreciated the tests designed and the judgements rendered by all the judges I have run under.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com