The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Field Trial Judging

I have read much of this thread, with some amusement, I might add. Recall someone pressing ED for a defined judging std. There is a std I think that most judges follow. Here's an over-simplication. If you place a mark on your paper, as a judge, showing the place from which all dogs are required to start, then place a mark on your paper for the location of each bird thrown or shot, then draw straight lines between the start & the location where each mark falls, then you have a std of performance. Then trace the actual performance of each dog for each mark once the dog reaches the area of the fall (in the case of marks) & note the performance or hunt in and around the area of the falls for each dog before the dog retrieves the bird. For blinds, draw a straight line between the starting line and the blind location. For each dog running the blind note the deviation from the straight line. Then choose the winner as the dog with the least deviation from the straight lines, i.e., the smallest, shortest hunts (in the area of the falls as we are cautioned not to judge lines to the AOF by the governing rules) & the least deviation from the straight lines on the blinds. The evaluation is relative among the competing dogs with appropriate weight of the marks and blinds as per the governing rules for the particular stake being judged. Be consistent in judgement between the dogs & follow the governing rules.

And I think someone said it with even more simplification, the dog with the least lead on the paper wins....usually.
    David Didier, GA

Lines on paper... That's all well and good. But it doesn't take into account style. You could have a dog walk perfectly straight to all the marks... But would you want to sit and watch that? Or ask anyone else to have to do it for another
    series.

I do know of this happening... And the dog being rewarded. But if you can watch the dog enter the water, and have time to go to your truck have a sandwich, have a cold drink and get back to the gallery before the dog has finished the test... I don't care how straight it's going, we have a problem. (Unless the dog is geriatric) the dog I am thinking of was in its prime.

But for the newbies reading this... Field trials are (or, in my opinion) about much more than just lines on the paper.
    (Though David's description is pretty good)
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    marvin,
    i have never considered judging. one reason is i don't have the necessary experience. the second reason is i like marshalling. the third is i am usually dishonest. being honest is over rated and usually causes me some kind of grief in life.

here is an example:
    yesterday was really nice weather. since the time has changed it doesn't get dark until 7pm. before going out to train i told my wife i would only run two marking sets and a couple of blinds. i said i would be home by six and take her to dinner.

i was training in this field that is adjacent the back lawn of a condominium complex, a large hedge row divides the two. the marking sets were done and i had a double blind with one of the blinds planted by the hedge row. the first two dogs ran the blinds nicely. the third, a bitch, lined the first blind. when i sent her for the second she slipped my whistle, ran through the hedge row and got lost. i whistled and she wouldn' come back through the cover. (some folk have seen her do this recently) so i went out to get her.

when i stepped through the bushes i saw a young beautiful woman sunning in a bikinni. she was petting my blf and sharing a ham sandwich with her. the lady asked if i wanted a sandwich and a glass of lemonaid. i agreed and she invited me inside. well one thing led to another and when i came to my senses i noticed it was 8 pm. i thanked the young lady for the refreshments and ran to my truck. all the way home i was trying to think of a lie to tell my wife that would explain me getting home two hours after i said i would and one hour after dark. i couldn't come up with a good lie and decided that honesty was the best policy.

when i came through the door she said, "WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?" i answered, "honey, i ran 'ol quiz' on this blind. she went through a hedge and didn't come back. i went to get her and this beautiful young woman was sunning in the yard. she invited me in for a sandwich and some lemonaid......one thing led to another and......"

she interupted me immediately and said, "YOU LYING SACK OF $#IT, YOU RAN FOUR SETUPS AGAIN!!!!!" so much for honesty?
    You are a lying sack of $#!+. Anyone that's seen your dogs knows you aren't training.
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    marvin,
    i have never considered judging. one reason is i don't have the necessary experience. the second reason is i like marshalling. the third is i am usually dishonest. being honest is over rated and usually causes me some kind of grief in life.

here is an example:
    yesterday was really nice weather. since the time has changed it doesn't get dark until 7pm. before going out to train i told my wife i would only run two marking sets and a couple of blinds. i said i would be home by six and take her to dinner.

i was training in this field that is adjacent the back lawn of a condominium complex, a large hedge row divides the two. the marking sets were done and i had a double blind with one of the blinds planted by the hedge row. the first two dogs ran the blinds nicely. the third, a bitch, lined the first blind. when i sent her for the second she slipped my whistle, ran through the hedge row and got lost. i whistled and she wouldn' come back through the cover. (some folk have seen her do this recently) so i went out to get her.

when i stepped through the bushes i saw a young beautiful woman sunning in a bikinni. she was petting my blf and sharing a ham sandwich with her. the lady asked if i wanted a sandwich and a glass of lemonaid. i agreed and she invited me inside. well one thing led to another and when i came to my senses i noticed it was 8 pm. i thanked the young lady for the refreshments and ran to my truck. all the way home i was trying to think of a lie to tell my wife that would explain me getting home two hours after i said i would and one hour after dark. i couldn't come up with a good lie and decided that honesty was the best policy.

when i came through the door she said, "WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?" i answered, "honey, i ran 'ol quiz' on this blind. she went through a hedge and didn't come back. i went to get her and this beautiful young woman was sunning in the yard. she invited me in for a sandwich and some lemonaid......one thing led to another and......"

she interupted me immediately and said, "YOU LYING SACK OF $#IT, YOU RAN FOUR SETUPS AGAIN!!!!!" so much for honesty?
    Allen, you just have to wonder, what the Hell is going on in that boys mind? Ya know he ain't training if he's got time think up all this $h!t
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

Doesn't really apply to the question but just a comparison dog game judging perspective. I've not ran a retriever FT yet,just HT's (but I'm coming) but have ran and judged many bird dog FT's. Here is how most of them work: Two judges on horses watching between 60 and 100 dogs and handlers run two at a time and picking 3 placements(2 placement in championships) WITHOUT EVER MAKING A NOTE. Some will keep a small note pad and write something after each brace but not many. I have witnessed judges riding and chatting and never even look at so and so's dog. Then when a popular dog(or handler) runs they are up in the stirrups watching. I still judge every now and then and how I was taught by a very good judge was that the 1st two dogs that run are 1st and 2nd then the next good dog either is third or bumps the other one or two down a notch and so on for the whole trial. After writing that I'm even more glad I got out of that game. I learned early on to taking a butt kicking and move on to the next one. If your dogs are good enough they can't deny you forever.

Forget the book. (it's important but just for keeping notes)
    look for the best judges in your area. Study their marks and the relationship to each other. Where they run from, conditions, etc.
    Think why they did what they did or didn't.
    Did what they did work. Why or why not? Try to get the big picture. Draw some pictures yourself.
    Although there will always be a few questionable dogs 90%+ will take care of themselves bad or good, if you set up good fun marks!
    It can and should be that simple. As for the 10% we're not sure about? Decide! After all you are 1/2 the judge. Just be consistant.
    Jan
    DA BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Allen, you just have to wonder, what the Hell is going on in that boys mind? Ya know he ain't training if he's got time think up all this $h!t
    allen and gregg,
    thanks for the vote of confidence. i take it as a compliment that if my dogs look bad the two of you assume i have not been training!

when you guys have dogs that do poorly, i have always assumed y'all were training.............poorly!
    john mccallie