The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 97

Thread: Field Trial Judging

  1. #81
    Senior Member rboudet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Covington, LA
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    This is a prime example of how black and white print can be misinterpreted. I give every dog (and handler) the same fair shake. At least I try to.

    We probably agree more than disagree.
    I agree!!!!

  2. #82
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    [QUOTE=8mmag;1205235]OK I just counted. I have run a mere 27 trials in my lifetime, and I thought the judging in 26 of them was fair, honest, and competent. We would all like to be 100% satisfied all the time, but I don't think you're gonna get much better than 96+% although it is a worthy goal worth striving for. I guess for me the glass is still half full.[QUOTE=8mmag;1205235]

    Congrats on putting that out there (very Daring )I'm of the type that you learn what's what from experience
    I've ran 3 FT's, all qualifying stake; so not much in the ways of experience; 2; I thought fair enough (@ least in their top placements) everything gets a little convoluted (3,4-RJ), but what do such placements really mean, there's no points, no qualifying list, no title progression. 1 (was rather interesting) but I was warned prior so that's my own fault . Overall I think it's intelligent to at least look into who's judging, their record, and take into account recommendations of people who have been around a bit; but I'll run under most judges (once) and make up my own mind. I dislike generalities; but people and judges are individuals, some will always be fair, some will always be interesting. I'll look for and travel for those I know to be fair and pass up the trials with those I know to be interesting, and give the unknowns the benefit (once). Glass half-full; but eyes wide open .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  3. #83
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8mmag View Post
    OK I just counted. I have run a mere 27 trials in my lifetime, and I thought the judging in 26 of them was fair, honest, and competent. We would all like to be 100% satisfied all the time, but I don't think you're gonna get much better than 96+% although it is a worthy goal worth striving for. I guess for me the glass is still half full.

    I'm gonna get blasted by all the six sigma gurus out there for saying that I know...
    It seems like we have this debate every year. Those of us that pretty much agree with your position are considered hopelessly naļve Pollyanna's by Marvin. Ed Aycock maybe part of FT royalty but I certainly am not. Have I been disappointed in getting a JAM where I thought a placement was in order, or a second where I thought we won? Sure, but not once did I ever think it was politics or a dishonest judge. I have a very short list of judges who's test I don't like and some judges that are not fun to run under, but none that I can think of as dishonest.

    I believe the number one component in judging is choosing a person with good judgment. I'm talking about the kind of person who in general day to day life, is quick to recognize and sum up situations, make a judgment of said situation and act accordingly. In addition that person needs to possess good dog sense. Some people just seem to naturally understand what makes dogs tick, while others no matter how many years they spend around dogs, just don't get it. Thirdly that person needs to know the rules inside and out, and have the integrity to adhere to those rules.

    Rboudet, I have run under Bill. He is one of the good ones, good test, fair call backs and one of those judges that puts the handler at ease when he is running his dog, you would like him.

  4. #84
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I agree!!!!
    Looks like you guys are back on track.

  5. #85
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Ed Aycock maybe part of FT royalty .
    I have been accused of many things both accurate and inaccurate but I do not think I have ever been accused of that.

    Being outspoken about field trial matters does not generally endear oneself to "FT royalty or the ruling class". That being said I have been fortunate to share my home with several members of field trial canine royalty so perhaps that makes me guilty by association.

  6. #86
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I have been accused of many things both accurate and inaccurate but I do not think I have ever been accused of that.

    Being outspoken about field trial matters does not generally endear oneself to "FT royalty or the ruling class". That being said I have been fortunate to share my home with several members of field trial canine royalty so perhaps that makes me guilty by association.
    Now you're talkin'
    Bill Davis

  7. #87
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I have been accused of many things both accurate and inaccurate but I do not think I have ever been accused of that.

    Being outspoken about field trial matters does not generally endear oneself to "FT royalty or the ruling class". That being said I have been fortunate to share my home with several members of field trial canine royalty so perhaps that makes me guilty by association.
    I kinda thought of you as the Duke Of Windsor of the FT game....
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Those of us that pretty much agree with your position are considered hopelessly naļve Pollyanna's by Marvin.
    You are wrong in your assumption. I believe you have low standards when better is easily available & that is
    not good for the game. I have offered the website & database to both Retriever News & a couple of folks in
    the ruling class but to date there are no takers. Why do you suppose that would be the case?

    When I was choosing judges, which was the prerogative of the POTC & this was in the days before all info
    was easily gathered I still found it easy to line up quality judges. & I will add we could fly them in from near
    & far as the airlines were engaged in price wars. So I did it this way:

    1) I asked all board members plus a couple of members who they would like to see judge our trial during my term in office
    2) After submission there were names that were on more than 1 list, so they got vetted 1st
    3) I went through 10 years of FT News to see if there were any missteps, those who finished less than 4 dogs were dropped
    4) I then called the people submitted & gave them their choice of 2 years of trials (Spring & Fall)

    Using that procedure we were able to have a high quality judge in all stakes paired with a local who was active & also worked our trials.
    Among those high quality judges was the Duke of Windsor. I know who he is, he wouldn't recognize me in a lineup .

    One of my favorite pastimes going to a National to participate or work was watching the ruling class & the FT royalty parade & preen!

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I kinda thought of you as the Duke Of Windsor of the FT game....
    That's clever!
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  9. #89
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    marvin,
    i have never considered judging. one reason is i don't have the necessary experience. the second reason is i like marshalling. the third is i am usually dishonest. being honest is over rated and usually causes me some kind of grief in life.

    here is an example:
    yesterday was really nice weather. since the time has changed it doesn't get dark until 7pm. before going out to train i told my wife i would only run two marking sets and a couple of blinds. i said i would be home by six and take her to dinner.

    i was training in this field that is adjacent the back lawn of a condominium complex, a large hedge row divides the two. the marking sets were done and i had a double blind with one of the blinds planted by the hedge row. the first two dogs ran the blinds nicely. the third, a bitch, lined the first blind. when i sent her for the second she slipped my whistle, ran through the hedge row and got lost. i whistled and she wouldn' come back through the cover. (some folk have seen her do this recently) so i went out to get her.

    when i stepped through the bushes i saw a young beautiful woman sunning in a bikinni. she was petting my blf and sharing a ham sandwich with her. the lady asked if i wanted a sandwich and a glass of lemonaid. i agreed and she invited me inside. well one thing led to another and when i came to my senses i noticed it was 8 pm. i thanked the young lady for the refreshments and ran to my truck. all the way home i was trying to think of a lie to tell my wife that would explain me getting home two hours after i said i would and one hour after dark. i couldn't come up with a good lie and decided that honesty was the best policy.

    when i came through the door she said, "WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?" i answered, "honey, i ran 'ol quiz' on this blind. she went through a hedge and didn't come back. i went to get her and this beautiful young woman was sunning in the yard. she invited me in for a sandwich and some lemonaid......one thing led to another and......"

    she interupted me immediately and said, "YOU LYING SACK OF $#IT, YOU RAN FOUR SETUPS AGAIN!!!!!" so much for honesty?
    john mccallie

  10. #90
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    marvin,
    i have never considered judging. one reason is i don't have the necessary experience. the second reason is i like marshalling. the third is i am usually dishonest. being honest is over rated and usually causes me some kind of grief in life.

    here is an example:
    yesterday was really nice weather. since the time has changed it doesn't get dark until 7pm. before going out to train i told my wife i would only run two marking sets and a couple of blinds. i said i would be home by six and take her to dinner.

    i was training in this field that is adjacent the back lawn of a condominium complex, a large hedge row divides the two. the marking sets were done and i had a double blind with one of the blinds planted by the hedge row. the first two dogs ran the blinds nicely. the third, a bitch, lined the first blind. when i sent her for the second she slipped my whistle, ran through the hedge row and got lost. i whistled and she wouldn' come back through the cover. (some folk have seen her do this recently) so i went out to get her.

    when i stepped through the bushes i saw a young beautiful woman sunning in a bikinni. she was petting my blf and sharing a ham sandwich with her. the lady asked if i wanted a sandwich and a glass of lemonaid. i agreed and she invited me inside. well one thing led to another and when i came to my senses i noticed it was 8 pm. i thanked the young lady for the refreshments and ran to my truck. all the way home i was trying to think of a lie to tell my wife that would explain me getting home two hours after i said i would and one hour after dark. i couldn't come up with a good lie and decided that honesty was the best policy.

    when i came through the door she said, "WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN?" i answered, "honey, i ran 'ol quiz' on this blind. she went through a hedge and didn't come back. i went to get her and this beautiful young woman was sunning in the yard. she invited me in for a sandwich and some lemonaid......one thing led to another and......"

    she interupted me immediately and said, "YOU LYING SACK OF $#IT, YOU RAN FOUR SETUPS AGAIN!!!!!" so much for honesty?
    John, you are over qualified to judge and are hereby nominated as permanent Field Trial Chairman for your club!
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •