The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OFA Hip Question

Default OFA Hip Question

Quick question regarding hips.
    If both parents are "good" can I expect my boy to at least be "good" ? I will have them done this summer, so I was just wondering.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

No, it's not that simple. Excellent x Excellent breedings can produce dysplastic dogs. HD is a polygenic trait as well as being affected by environment, while OFA ratings are simply based on phenotype (what they look like).... it puts the odds in your favor, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Good luck on your boy's clearances!

Be sure and ask around of breeders in your area who they recommend for taking OFA xrays because many vets are happy to collect the $ to do so without having any idea of how important proper positioning is. Get one that other serious retriever people are happy with, even if you have to drive or pay a bit more. A dog positioned incorrectly or crooked can give a photo that make the hips look bad or even failing. (The converse is not true: if the dog does have bad hips there's no way to make them appear good enough to pass). There is a lot of information on the OFA website offa.org about percentages of the different ratings from good or excellent parents you might find interesting, along with their vertical pedigree where you can look at family history (grand- and great grandparents, siblings, pups by or out of the sire/dam from previous breedings if any are old enough, etc.) The more goods and excellents in the relatives and offspring, the better the chance yours will be good or maybe even excellent. I have a dog that got an excellent rating (along with 2 littermates) from a good x good breeding.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 03-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Does OFA grade hips according to breed or are all dogs hips judged the same? What I mean is, does one breed have a different criteria for excellent, good, and fair than a different breed.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Be sure and ask around of breeders in your area who they recommend for taking OFA xrays because many vets are happy to collect the $ to do so without having any idea of how important proper positioning is. Get one that other serious retriever people are happy with, even if you have to drive or pay a bit more.
    Thanks Julie. I will probably drive to Los Angeles area to have it done. There was a thread a few weeks ago asking for vet recomendations down there. I will find it and bookmark it.

Hi, Dave
    I have used showdogmed.com for my dogs' OFA films. This is a mobile vet service that does other OFA testing: elbows, thyroid, DNA, etc. They do the OFA hips and elbows without sedating your dog. Check out their website to find out their schedule, fees, download and print forms and make appointments.

And again, congrats on your and Reggies' HT title!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Strike Labradors View Post
    Hi, Dave
    I have used showdogmed.com for my dogs' OFA films. This is a mobile vet service that does other OFA testing: elbows, thyroid, DNA, etc. They do the OFA hips and elbows without sedating your dog. Check out their website to find out their schedule, fees, download and print forms and make appointments.

And again, congrats on your and Reggies' HT title!!!
    Thanks Kathy. I will check their schedule.
    Congrats to you and Seek also! That was a fun 30 days or so.

It's all a game of odds. Good x Good (or better) puts the odds in your favor.

Dave,
    There's a great vet in Fresno, Waterhouse Veterinarian Hospital, that I have used on ALL of my dogs. I can give you more info on Sunday.
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

The dogs are judged by breed because there are differences by breed. OFA explains that on its website.

Meredith