The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote controlled gun fire?

Default Remote controlled gun fire?

Training alone using zinger wingers. Is there something I can buy to replicate 2 or 3 shots from a shotgun? The winger fires a shot simultaneously with the launch, but I'd like shots when bird is up to train for that level of excitement when I don't have a bird boy.

Sometimes I feel like all of our work alone to train marking scenarios and live fliers is all for naught when we get to a test and there's so much gunfire causing distraction we haven't trained for.

Is your dog steady enough for you to walk out and toss a bird and pop a couple blank 12ga shells? Then walk back and send the dog? I have also stepped out a couple steps away from my dog, and fired a blank 12ga shell when I hit the remote release on the winger. It teaches the dog to look in the direction the gun is pointed in.

They have to make some contraption you are asking about though, I'm sure one of the pro's will be along to point you in the direction of it.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Training alone using zinger wingers. Is there something I can buy to replicate 2 or 3 shots from a shotgun? The winger fires a shot simultaneously with the launch, but I'd like shots when bird is up to train for that level of excitement when I don't have a bird boy.

Sometimes I feel like all of our work alone to train marking scenarios and live fliers is all for naught when we get to a test and there's so much gunfire causing distraction we haven't trained for.
    Do you have a bumper boy launcher? I have used one in the field loaded with a blank but without setting a bumper on the shaft, I do this for three different training situations;

a) young dog running cold blinds, I will fire the shot from close to, but deep of the planted blind to aid them as is done occasionally in some SH tests

b) used it as part of a marking set up where dog is cued on a mark and expected to make the AoF even though it saw no bird/bumper thrown, birds or bumpers are placed a throws distance to one side or the other of a stick man or prominent hold blind

c) dry diversion shot when running a blind with an advanced dog

Same thing can be done with any remote launchers but timing can be tricky with say a max 5000 and may not work well for shooting at the top of the arc, but of course the max replicates a Shotgun better than a BB, hope this helps.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    That thing is cool, but wow is it pricey. I wonder if trainrite can make something for much cheaper?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

I use the bumper boy without bumpers also. It takes three hands to work all the electronics and keep on hand on the ecollar. If you wait too long for a third shot he will look back at the stickman or holding blind. So the timing has to be good.

My sequence that I try for in faux flyers, is fire bb, launch, fire bb2.

I also use the bb without dummies for diversions on way back from memory bird prior to running blind. I had a problem with this at his last hunt test where the diversion was from the holding blind on the memory bird. I have done this several times in training and now he doesn't pay any attention to the dry pop.

I use the red loads which are the most powerful and loudest.

Maybe with BB being out of business you can pick up a used one cheap.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-26-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

The winger mate is pretty cool - but expensive for only one shot on one winger. The used Bumper boy idea may be a good one to get multiple shots...

Thanks for the ideas!!

Credit to Bill Hillman for this concept... Credit to Hope for breaking on her first day back out LOL

Darrin Greene

Jennifer, I too am in need of a multi-shot mechanism.....

i made these "bumper boys" that shoot the retriever r trainer type bumpers, and link w/ the old style tritronic releases

i use them very often in the manner that Wayne suggests.

i REALLY wish i could come up with a 209 primer solution for multi shots, press button BAM, press button BAM....but i've yet to do so!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...6&d=1394156256

Darrin, I can do that all day long and use wingers with live birds, no problem. The problem arises with gunfire. Especially the second and third shots, which is what I need to replicate. Not a big fan of shooting my shotgun from the line, really either due to hearing loss.

pwyxit: That's a neat set up. Would be nice to have a revolver type mechanism with a remote.