The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote controlled gun fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Darrin, I can do that all day long and use wingers with live birds, no problem. The problem arises with gunfire. Especially the second and third shots, which is what I need to replicate. Not a big fan of shooting my shotgun from the line, really either due to hearing loss.

pwyxit: That's a neat set up. Would be nice to have a revolver type mechanism with a remote.
    I guess I was suggesting you go out there with a three shot shotgun and let er rip when you kick the winger.

Then quickly run out and grab the bird when she breaks! Might need too make sure you're not to close to here when you do it, so you have time to get to the bird first.

Btw if you ever hunted your dog out of a duck blind it would be just like shooting from the line.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I use the bumper boy without bumpers also. It takes three hands to work all the electronics and keep on hand on the ecollar. If you wait too long for a third shot he will look back at the stickman or holding blind. So the timing has to be good.

My sequence that I try for in faux flyers, is fire bb, launch, fire bb2.

I also use the bb without dummies for diversions on way back from memory bird prior to running blind. I had a problem with this at his last hunt test where the diversion was from the holding blind on the memory bird. I have done this several times in training and now he doesn't pay any attention to the dry pop.

I use the red loads which are the most powerful and loudest.

Maybe with BB being out of business you can pick up a used one cheap.
    Wayne this is what I do and sometimes slip up with all the gadgets!! Dog doesn't care as long as it goes off! I use yellow but will have to try red. Thx
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

This is set on an internal timer and I am not sure if you can change it or hook it up to a remote. It is neat though, we place them in a culvert to make it even louder. http://zonbirdscarecannon.com/ I'm pretty sure this isn't what your looking for but I thought I would just throw my 2 cents in.

Years ago the folks at BB told me they had rigged a blank shooting revolver to a servo motor. Pushing the remote would cycle the revolver.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Gun stand and fix a servo to work the trigger of your popper gun. The best option is the old max 5000 at the station. I'm working on a multy shot deal, using 3 tubes and springs to fire primers with a servo to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I guess I was suggesting you go out there with a three shot shotgun and let er rip when you kick the winger.

Then quickly run out and grab the bird when she breaks! Might need too make sure you're not to close to here when you do it, so you have time to get to the bird first.

Btw if you ever hunted your dog out of a duck blind it would be just like shooting from the line.
    Yes, that is a good idea - having me out there shooting my semi auto - in theory. But there is something about having ME out there that makes her all the more steady, no matter what I do. Not sure if I'm some how intimidating or if she just knows it's a training scenario with me out there, but no matter what I do she's steady. Today I went out and threw live fliers with lots of noise with no movement from her. If my husband is out there throwing and shooting, all bets are off. Creep ville. Unfortunately for us, he is working too hard this week and next.

We have never hunted from a blind with her. Always jump shooting. Funny thing is I'm too antsy to sit in a blind to hunt. I have to be on the move. Lately I've been wondering if people with dogs with creeping problems are creepers themselves in everyday life... Rolling stops at stop signs, speeding, can't sit around doing nothing for very long...

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Gun stand and fix a servo to work the trigger of your popper gun. The best option is the old max 5000 at the station. I'm working on a multy shot deal, using 3 tubes and springs to fire primers with a servo to fire.
    I hope you invent something cool so I can buy it. I really like the idea John Lash mentioned, too.

I wonder if you could get by with a high quality remote-controlled digital audio recorder/player? You could record gunshot, and then place the recorder somewhere nearby but at a location that would keep the dog looking in the correct direction? It wouldn't be ideal of course, but perhaps a less expensive alternative? Kind of like those CD's they sell to get your dogs used to sounds of field trials and hunt tests?
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    I wonder if you could get by with a high quality remote-controlled digital audio recorder/player? You could record gunshot, and then place the recorder somewhere nearby but at a location that would keep the dog looking in the correct direction? It wouldn't be ideal of course, but perhaps a less expensive alternative? Kind of like those CD's they sell to get your dogs used to sounds of field trials and hunt tests?
    Something to think about!

Don't think you could get the volume you need out of a recording without a high watt amp and speaker which makes it expensive.

I make gadgets and junk all the time just never build to sell, I'm more of a redneck engineer.