The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remote controlled gun fire?

I just thought of another way, make a holder for a starter pistol and servo to pull the trigger and with a spring it will return to neutral which will advance the cylinder for the next shot. Wire it to the other side of your release and there you have it, should have a decent firing rate. If you want faster firing just go to a faster rated servo from a model airplane store. I used to fly rc planes and once built an f-14 I fired small rockets off of using a servo switch to light the rocket motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Yes, that is a good idea - having me out there shooting my semi auto - in theory. But there is something about having ME out there that makes her all the more steady, no matter what I do. Not sure if I'm some how intimidating or if she just knows it's a training scenario with me out there, but no matter what I do she's steady. Today I went out and threw live fliers with lots of noise with no movement from her.
    Sounds like she's out of balance in terms of what she expects to happen.

You're out there, she's steady. She seems to know that she's not going to get released unless you're next to her. You're next to her, she creeps, because she knows the sequence of events... Mom next to me is one sequence, Mom away from be is another.

You need to desensitize her to your presence. You need a counter conditioning strategy, I think.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-27-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Jennifer

Heres goofy Goosers suggestion..

Gadgets! Good for training, and making set ups more convenient for us...

I have always had really bad creepy dogs. They moved a LOT at the line... My hunting standards were also very low. I too jump shot exclusivly.

With this new dog...I got help with training. I cannot tell you the number of times at training days that I have been repremanded for missing the opportunity to correct for a "sit " violation.. Most all those times, where instances where I was in the holding blind. approaching the line, or at the line getting ready to run.. Many times also, it was after I had run the set up, and was picking up birds to put back in the rack, or starting a conversation about how we did.. Flinch would move!! Very slightly,,, and I would get scolded as to my sit standard.

I was told,, even during the week,, when with the dog,, to keep my eye open for opportunity to correct for a sit violation. It was amazing the opportunitys that exists that would give you a strong excitement factor, that didnt include field work.. when I started paying more attention to these circumstances,and really being critical about ANY movement,, Any time,, my "Sits" really improved

I think running the Y drill, by yourself, from a very close distance , could help you get instances where you could enforce a very high "sit"standard.

You can watch an example of the "Y " drill on Bill Hillmans Blog on top of page.

My Take!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

From Hillmans blog YBS media, top of page, There are 5 video clips examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-W0...hwc2Ftn1uj3Yzi
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I had a few wild dogs last year and I set wingers up and shot flyers from the line. Duck calls live rounds and used my homers as fly away birds and so on. Holding blinds and set ups like the real deal. They know when you are using a popper pistol or a primer pistol or any other fake sound maker.When something is not working you have to try something different. You have to also ask how you got to this point in the first place. Good luck.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

It is true, I have always been sloppy in training on the way to the line letting her race me to the holding blind, letting her walk 2 feet in front at "heel" to any destination and as Gooser pointed out, on the way off line, letting her fetch up the pile of birds or bumpers from the ground.

For the past month, I've started a new regime. I developed a whole routine for us.
    •Instead of her running the field while I set up, she stays in the truck.
    •Before I open truck door, I lay a mat on the ground for her to come sit on at heel.
    •She sits before I open door, I invite out and she gets on mat.
    •Leash up, say "heel" and we walk at heel to first holding blind, stopping and backing up whenever she inches forward.
    •I am conscious of being calm and slow. She is invited into the blind or onto the mat.
    •We take a moment to survey the set up
    •If she creeps when first bird goes, no bird

We've pretty well cured the problem with marks - though I haven't truly tested the theory with real other gunners shooting the gun and live duck, just live pigeon and a .22 .

If I had a remote repeating gun, I could work on withholding reward for the sit, heel standard when training alone. Which would be nice.

Brett - are you MacGruber or something? I hope you invent something so I can buy it!

Waterdogs, I think I may just try that, that sounds like it may work!

Darrin, please advise on your theory. At this point, I feel too close to the problem and am having trouble thinking up conditioning strategy. Thanks for your thoughts.

McGyver is my hero, always like blowing stuff up.

She knows the whole routine, from racing you to the holding blind to beating you to the mat, to creeping when the birds go down.

She knows that when you're standing next to her, the next thing that happens after a gun shot is that she gets released to retrieve.

She also knows that when you're standing out in the field and she sees a fall/hears a shot, she won't be released until you walk back to wherever she is an release her.

She's doing the same task (heel to the line, sit, watch birds and then retrieve them), but in two different contexts. First context you standing next to her. Second context you away from her.

So what would happen if, for some period of time, every time a bird was shot, you had her do one or two other behaviors before she was sent? What would happen if you made the point at which she gets released random? What would happen if for a month she didn't make a retrieve and did nothing but obedience behaviors every time a bird was shot?

What would her expectation of what happens next be after that period of time and what effect might it have on what she does while the birds are going down?

My best guess would be, and this is only a guess, that by resetting her expectation as to what will happen next in the context of you standing next to her, she will do something different when the birds are tossed.

She's just back chaining the bird/shot as part of the release sequence. Change the sequence and make it impossible for her to anticipate the send because she has no idea what's coming next.

Just thinking out loud on how to solve it without corrections.
    Darrin Greene

Maybe take her to line and run a few blind before marks and if she is crazy just run the blinds. I had dog that was vocal and I did this and it worked pretty well. I am never afraid to call folks I know and brain storm when I have a question. To bad you couldn't get with a training group.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

I'll go up and fire my 12 ga. for $250.00 per shot.
    Ray K

SHR Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01