The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLRB declares college football players employees and can unionize.

Default NLRB declares college football players employees and can unionize.

This will be appealed but who knows what it could mean for all college sports.

In a potentially game-changing moment for college athletics, the Chicago district of the National Labor Relations Board ruled on Wednesday that Northwestern football players qualify as employees and can unionize.
    NLRB regional director Peter Sung Ohr cited the players' time commitment to their sport and that their scholarships were tied directly to their performance as reasons for granting them union rights.
    Ohr wrote in his ruling that Wildcats players "fall squarely within the [National Labor Relations] Act's broad definition of 'employee' when one considers the common law definition of 'employee.'"
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...n-bid-unionize
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Sounds like a good first step.

Since they are employees I guess that their scholarships, room and board etc would be income. As income it would be subject to federal and state income taxes. Starts to get really messy very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Since they are employees I guess that their scholarships, room and board etc would be income. As income it would be subject to federal and state income taxes. Starts to get really messy very fast.
    I thought you were an accountant or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I thought you were an accountant or something similar?
    I'm waiting for the NLRB to explain how if they are employees rather than students these items don't become taxable compensation. In theory this would require a legislative change to the tax code, but these days who knows. The room and board would be even more questionable than the actual tuition.
    If they are employees must they be paid min wage? What is the basis for calculating hours worked?
    HOw many schools will drop division 1 sports?
    How would this impact Title IX?
    There is a lot more to this than it seems on the face of it.
    Should the ruling stand it will have a huge impact on all college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I'm waiting for the NLRB to explain how if they are employees rather than students these items don't become taxable compensation. In theory this would require a legislative change to the tax code, but these days who knows. The room and board would be even more questionable than the actual tuition.
    If they are employees must they be paid min wage? What is the basis for calculating hours worked?
    HOw many schools will drop division 1 sports?
    How would this impact Title IX?
    There is a lot more to this than it seems on the face of it.
    Should the ruling stand it will have a huge impact on all college sports.
    The room and board is already in the tax code and is not subject as income.

Well if the scholarship is considered income and they decide to unionize what happens to the scholarships? The union agreements I am familiar with (worked 25 years in a manufacturing plant that has 5 different unions) the pay was by the job not the individual. So if that is true all over, in the same college do all players in the same position get the same amount of money? For example I can see tackles getting a different amount than guards but I cannot see each tackle getting different amounts.

This is going to be interesting to watch.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    The room and board is already in the tax code and is not subject as income.
    Yes for students, but the NLRB just said they are employees! See why it gets messy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    Well if the scholarship is considered income and they decide to unionize what happens to the scholarships? The union agreements I am familiar with (worked 25 years in a manufacturing plant that has 5 different unions) the pay was by the job not the individual. So if that is true all over, in the same college do all players in the same position get the same amount of money? For example I can see tackles getting a different amount than guards but I cannot see each tackle getting different amounts.

And what about the walk ons that are currently paying to play so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post

It is even better than that. If they are employees, they have to be paid. If they are paid, they are no longer amateurs. If the are not amateurs, they are not eligible to play NCAA sports. Talk about a Catch 22!