The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope - Two Level Wagon Wheel Drill (video)

There are several tells that you were using the collar throughout. Heeling behind you, wrapping herself around, head shake, general disposition of getting flighty.
    I have always been taught that wagon wheel is a no pressure drill. There are however different ways to train dogs, so not saying what is right or wrong.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Loved the music.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Just noticed I confused you with Euguene, Robert. Go figr LOL
    Eug Is clearly more handsome than me !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    There are several tells that you were using the collar throughout. Heeling behind you, wrapping herself around, head shake, general disposition of getting flighty.
    I have always been taught that wagon wheel is a no pressure drill. There are however different ways to train dogs, so not saying what is right or wrong.
    That's 70 seconds of a 320 second video and has to do with the dog completely checking out on me due to being distracted by the man and dogs that can be seen in the background. The collar is used much more than that throughout the entire exercise and you don't really notice it. I know where I would be using it and there are a bunch of other clues you didn't mention. The only reason it becomes evident at that point is that she has lost her focus on the exercise and dropped out of drive slightly. When her drive level is right, you don't really see the collar use, but it is there.
    Darrin Greene

Joe Pet might not notice the corrections, I may be wrong , I can mention more if you'd like ....throughout the video...to me it seems you have a high drive dog that continues to work through all kinds of corrections
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Joe Pet might not notice the corrections, I may be wrong , I can mention more if you'd like ....throughout the video...to me it seems you have a high drive dog that continues to work through all kinds of corrections
    Film yourself with your best 2 yo doing the same exercise and post it up Bridgette. If my dog is making up for my negligent method of training, then show me one you've trained that performs better.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Even though the wagon wheel is designed to be a "Low Pressure" type of drill, there are still standards to uphold, have seen the drill demonstrated by various different big name pros and some form of pressure has used every time, training tab and chain, stick, e-collar, heel of boot ect....

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Even though the wagon wheel is designed to be a "Low Pressure" type of drill, there are still standards to uphold, have seen the drill demonstrated by various different big name pros and some form of pressure has used every time, training tab and chain, stick, e-collar, heel of boot ect....
    As a casting drill? a Line up drill? or a retrieving drill?..The dog would know how to retrieve before this 'Surely'?..and it would know how to be lined up Surely? and at 2 years old I would hope that it would know how to be cast ?...Them 'Pro's'that you speak of with the heel of a boot?...Does the dog require a route to be told where to go with that foot?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I will not post a video here. Too many people can look at it and assume it is the way it SHOULD be done. I did not say you were negligent Darrine.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors

On looking at Lardy's notes on WW the article says "keep a short lead on the dog and use it and the heeling stick to guide the dog if necessary" "If he gets the bumper anyway stop him as soon as he picks it up, return it to its spot and bring him back to the center. Don't give him the success of returning with the wrong bumper. This is a form of attrition." "And remember-no collar corrections are used at this stage of the game for making wrong decisions."
    Just wanted to read that article from the retriever Journal Feb/Mar 1998 again. I believe the article is in one of his Volumes on Training. Very good! Just FYI
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray