The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS Vacation time

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Seeing they make a good living, vacation expenses should be out of their own pocket. You can't really charge them for their security detail because that would not seem fair.

We all make desicions on where to take vacations based on our economic status. we don't have the Government paying for ours. It is just terribly wrong how the Obama family is using their position to take so many taxpayer trips.

It is what it is... says a lot about the Obama's.
    Their "White" counter part would go back to the "Double Wide" after their term is up, Jug Ears has saved enough on vacations to build a mansion on the big island to kick it in.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Perhaps you should add this to your signature line
    Negative Henry, wouldn't want Jug Ears to become a "Mortar", then they would want another day off or work, or aleast the ones that can find work in this Kenyian Ekonomy. Gotta go, gots some Messican food waiting on me.

I believe the Pres deserves vacations and obviously due to his position the expenses are huge. Having said that, I also think the Pres should use some common sense and limit the trips. The current Pres has abused the privileges and his wife is out of control. If she wants to go somewhere, pay for it yourself or travel with the Pres.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Your post seems to be a far cry from the one you posted less than a year ago. The post in which you defended the Bush's seven vacations to Africa. I seem to remember only praise and nothing about cost. "Playing by the same rules" doesn't seem to be the general theme here.
    I do remember commenting positively on what Bush accomplished in the battle against AIDS in Africa (and continues to do so in his "retirement"). I don't know which of those visits were considered "vacations".

How about a plan that specifies a certain amount of "vacation time"? Most every other job has a vacation limitation. And perhaps a mileage limit. When Bush vacationed at his ranch, the cost of him spending two weeks there was a lot less than two weeks in Hawaii for Obama.

Yes, it is appropriate that the POTUS have vacation time & protection and transportation due to his responsibilities. That is unavoidable, of course. But why is there absolutely no limitation when the cost is so huge. Even our military has a budget, for God's sake. I won't argue how wisely they may use it, but there is a budget.

$16 million may not be much in the Fed budget, but it could buy a lot of cancer treatment drugs for life and death situations. It could buy quite a lot of food for hungry kids, too. Remember that those are just the costs of flying Air Force I and II. When other expenses are included, the costs are much higher. The total costs for the African vacation were reportedly somewhere around $40 million.

I think we've been desensitized about huge amounts of money because of the enormous size of the total Fed budget. We even have seen people saying, "It's only $1 billion." How many doctors could go through med school on $1 billion? A lot.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

For the record I don't know what the president has to pay for when he goes on vacation. Lets assume that accommodations and food is taken care of for his family. For a ten day trip you are looking at maybe 4 to 10 thousand maybe up to 15. Assuming that they have to stay at a hotel that can accommodate the entourage and reasonably nice, because I doubt the president is staying at a place where they leave the light on for you. That seems like a lot of money and it is assuming that we have to pay for it which we really don't know. That would be a considerable job perk. Now if we go to the private sector where a CEO would have to pay for these things himself and compare compensation. The largest and most profitable CEOs make between 6 and 22 million dollars before bonuses and other amenities. The president makes 400k. The cost of picking up his hotel tab is really kind of a bargain if you think about it.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/3/chapter-2

I happened upon it, but the president has a 100,000 travel budget, plus a 50,000 expense account.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

I would much rather have Mrs O take the extravagant trips with the huge entourage than to have her in Washington ala Hillary heading up some govt committee and trying to be a lawmaker for which she was not elected
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    For the record I don't know what the president has to pay for when he goes on vacation. Lets assume that accommodations and food is taken care of for his family. For a ten day trip you are looking at maybe 4 to 10 thousand maybe up to 15. Assuming that they have to stay at a hotel that can accommodate the entourage and reasonably nice, because I doubt the president is staying at a place where they leave the light on for you. That seems like a lot of money and it is assuming that we have to pay for it which we really don't know. That would be a considerable job perk. Now if we go to the private sector where a CEO would have to pay for these things himself and compare compensation. The largest and most profitable CEOs make between 6 and 22 million dollars before bonuses and other amenities. The president makes 400k. The cost of picking up his hotel tab is really kind of a bargain if you think about it.
    One source indicated that FLOTUS' suite is about $8,400 per night, while Biden was able to get accommodations for about 1/2 that when he was in China. Still expensive, but no specific reasons were given why it was necessary to spend so much more for FLOTUS. That figure does not include any accommodations for the rest of the entourage. The suite is 3400 SF and has a 24/7 butler.

Indeed, CEO's make a ton of money, but usually that is after years of proving they are worth those salaries. They don't start out at those salaries. A POTUS comes into office with varying degrees of credentials.

Not feeling too sorry for this POTUS. Did you see the tax returns at election time? I believe his other income was 2X his salary, and also included "foreign income" (not specified on from where on the returns). He's become quite wealthy as a politician ... most pols do so. The insider trading perks were pretty good & just recently were ended. They also get plenty of honorariums after their terms are over, and continued perks for the rest of their lives. Very few politicians who've served a dozen years have to worry about paying for their health care ... with or without insurance.

I think one also has to include the perks for total salary. Someone mentioned (on a long-ago thread) that first family pays for its groceries for family meals ... but they don't pay rent, and I don't believe they pay for any of the chefs or other service personnel. The living quarters are a pretty nice perk. When vacationing, I believe they pay the price of a first class ticket. That's quite a bargain considering the luxuries available on AF1 and AF2. Remember we'll be paying for lots of stuff for the rest of their lives, too.

Then there's the job security, at least for 4 years CEOs who don't perform or incur the wrath of their Board of Directors may get some golden parachutes, but they can be fired for poor performance; and some of them go to jail for breaking laws (unless they have the right political connections).
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Jug Ears couldn't run a condom stand in a Ho house on Bourbon St.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Jug Ears couldn't run a condom stand in a Ho house on Bourbon St.

Why should he? He can just outsource it to you.

John Schmidt