The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: When is my pup done teething to start FF?

Default When is my pup done teething to start FF?

My pup is 6 months old as of yesterday. We have our obedience training done(if thats even possible to be done with ) and Im dying to start force fetch with her. I know everyone says to wait until they're done teething and that is usually 5-6 months but how do I know for sure that she is ready for it? Thanks in advance.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Look in her mouth? That's what I do.
    She has all her adult teeth are not. Much more to FF than adult teeth. Are you following some sort of program?
    Don

The more important question is your dog developmentally ready for FF? I no longer go on permanent teeth. When a dog starts to decide whether they need to be obedient or not is when I decide they are ready for force fetch.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Agreed on the developmental and maturity issues, but as far as the teeth go we've always waited the longest for those big canines to be done growing. 6 months would be pushing it for most labs I'd have to believe. It's also worth watching to make sure one of those canines doesn't get impacted and need pulled. After that you really want the swelling and soreness to be gone before doing any kind of training with the mouth.

Yes, Mike Lardy's. She is mentally ready, in my opinion. She takes to training well, listens to obedience commands and acts on them. Everything is good except her teeth, just didn't want to start her early if she's not done teething.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"