The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HT Rule - No vest

Default HT Rule - No vest

What is the rational for not permitting the wearing of a dog vest in a AKC HT?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Considered a training device would be my guess..... I know this is true in pointing dog trials/tests..
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by waycool View Post
    Considered a training device would be my guess..... I know this is true in pointing dog trials/tests..
    Perhaps, but I would think at a HT when the weather is unseasonly cold it would be a safety device. Guess the option is just dont run your dog then if you thinks it's to cold.

I think the benefits of allowing them would far outweigh any negatives IMO.

I was told (I can't make this up) that because they aided in flotation they were not allowed. True story.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I have never seen anybody try to run their dog in an AKC field event (Trial/Test) but I sure could figure out how to make that vest a training aid/intimidation before showing up. My vote is no @ all times.

Lastly , having hunted my dogs in extremely cold conditions/water/ice/air I often marveled @ my own dogs willing to do the work and wondered how other competitive dogs would do under equal

conditions. I know in running a few , extremely physically demanding trials where perseverance/courage could be demonstrated I saw a lot of big dogs crumble. Its like the Super Bowl warm/harsh.

To the OP, why would you want to have your dog wear a neoprene vest? What is/are the reason/s? Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    I have never seen anybody try to run their dog in an AKC field event (Trial/Test) but I sure could figure out how to make that vest a training aid/intimidation before showing up. My vote is no @ all times.

Lastly , having hunted my dogs in extremely cold conditions/water/ice/air I often marveled @ my own dogs willing to do the work and wondered how other competitive dogs would do under equal

conditions. I know in running a few , extremely physically demanding trials where perseverance/courage could be demonstrated I saw a lot of big dogs crumble. Its like the Super Bowl warm/harsh.
    I have a senior HT this Saturday, and I don't think my dog will have an issue with water temp impeding his work. I do however think for those running their dog's in JH this weekend, that some may or may not be aware of how the water temp could be detremental to their dogs future training attitude with regard to waterwork. What's the harm with letting them wear a vest. Stupid rule IMO. It's not the superbowl, and there ain't no winner at a HT.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryWilliams View Post
    To the OP, why would you want to have your dog wear a neoprene vest? What is/are the reason/s? Harry
    Its been cold here, snow is still on ground. Water is going to be very cold.

I would guess safety-- if it were to get caught on brush or something, just like the no tags rule on the collars.
    I think I'd be concerned if I had dogs I wasn't sure would go into cold water. Heck, they go into the canal all winter if I let them (not when the edges are icy) and that water is mountain runoff... probably 34F at the most. As short as most JH/SH marks are, it should not be a concern for any retriever breed.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    What is the rational for not permitting the wearing of a dog vest in a AKC HT?
    Why would you want to wear a dog vest?