The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope - Two Level Wagon Wheel Drill (video)

Default Hope - Two Level Wagon Wheel Drill (video)

Put this up for a friend (yes, I actually do have friends). Thought you all might like it.

Darrin Greene

She moves good with you but the inside bumpers seem really close to me, hard to tell with the camera angle but I would say mine are double that distance when I do the drill..

Awesome video. Thank you for sharing. I would have really liked to watch it without the music so I could hear your commands and corrections.

How old is Hope? She looks like she's got a ton of focus and responsiveness. My dog (first time trainer) is 1 yr and 3 months... She does really well and I'm happy with how she's developing but I don't really see that level of focus in her yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    She moves good with you but the inside bumpers seem really close to me, hard to tell with the camera angle but I would say mine are double that distance when I do the drill..
    Mine usually are too but I had to shrink it to get it on camera. Actually makes is a bit harder when you go to the two level drill. She has to almost run over the inside ring. Going big isn't ever her issue though LOL
    Darrin Greene

Nice work Darrin

Darrin,

Sometimes a hand signal, sometimes not. Pourquoi? And not much visual evidence of praise either; or does she just get a bang out of Wagner? For a dog with Hope's piston The Ride of the Valkyries is an inspired choice!

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Curious about the hand cue as well. You use it sometimes then not?or for second row and to help her focus? Do you use orange bumpers in the second row eventually. And you never use collar pressure? I do like how she turns with you and is focusing. Is she two sided? And I liked how you moved up if you had an issue. Very nice. Thx for sharing.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

J_Brown "Hope will be 2 in mid May of this year. She's quite behind in her training because I was not able to get into the field last summer. I'm just starting some review of yard work principals so that I can get to work on her MH this summer. The focus you see is partially dog but also a trained behavior. You can train almost any dog with enough drive for the field to do it.

Eug - there isn't much praise for Hope. She gets her reward with the retrieve. If you pet her she gets so excited that she completely loses focus on the work. I'm not much of a talker in training either. Sounds are very limited with any dog, but in Hopes case, a clean, calm energy is critical to keeping her head in the game. You might also notice I try to be pretty slow and deliberate as well. Can't go too fast or again, she gets out of whack.

Hand signal - I assume you guys are talking about the hand in on the send... It was cold so she got sent verbally a bunch of times. Looking back I was pretty inconsistent with it. Hope doesn't seem to care. It's her GOOD cue that lets her know she's going. You can see a few times where she perks up right before the send, that's because I cued her.

Mary Lynn - I will go to orange eventually yes, and make it into a much larger drill. Getting Hope to drive past a bumper 8 feet away isn't especially difficult. Having her check down is much harder. She's two sided and there should be some of both sides in the video. It was too long so I stopped before the drill was over.

Collar pressure? I use collar pressure on and off all throughout the drill. You just don't see a big physical reaction in the dog.

Sorry about the sound. It was WINDY. If you look you can see the dust blowing on the road in the background. My camera doesn't pick up the verbal cues at that distance anyhow though. I pretty much whisper to her (and all dogs).
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-27-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    I would have really liked to watch it without the music so I could hear your commands and corrections.
    Maybe It's better with the Music?...Don't know about some of you folks ,but around 1:22 that dawg sure can 'sing'? ....Star wars theme would appear apt !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Just noticed I confused you with Euguene, Robert. Go figr LOL

HAHA - you caught me! The head-shake is from the collar There's no vocalization though.

The collar is used a lot more than that in the drill. That's just the one place it becomes visible.

Not sure why her drive dropped a little there, even reviewing the video. May have been due to the distraction just before.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-27-2014 at 08:45 AM.
    Darrin Greene