The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hillmanns methods - questions and opinions

Default Hillmanns methods - questions and opinions

Just finished watching the Hillmann puppy DVD. So far I'm impressed with his training method. But I have a few questions.
    1) do his additional DVDs (land and water fundamentals) continue to build upon the work done in the puppy DVD following the same methods?
    2) Wondering about the success others have had with his force fetch method (Have not seen it yet, but getting that DVD in a day or two)
    3) other than dogs owned and trained by the Hillmanns, does anybody own any MH, FC, AFC etc titled dogs trained solely using Hillmanns methods? Or know of any?
    4) For those that have trained dogs with other the other programs as well as Hillmanns, have you perceived any benefits or drawbacks when following Hillmann?

Remember....no matter what program you follow you need to read your dog, and if you can't it won't matter....Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    Remember....no matter what program you follow you need to read your dog, and if you can't it won't matter....Randy
    Completely agree.

# 1) I was told by them that After the Puppy Vid move onto Traffic Cop then The Fetch Command and onto the rest.
    I have a friend that has put his dog through Hillmans and onto Lardy. The dog is one of the best behaved at OB and honoring than any young dog in the training group. Others feel that the dogs marking is much better because it is in control at the line. Dog still has plenty of drive, hustle and desire

Can't help you with the rest.

+, it works for some
    -, it doesn't for some
    i believe dogs learn through pressure, Hillman is void of pressure. IMO the sooner dogs learn to deal with pressure the sooner they learn to comply and become team players. Like some dog foods, when there are 50% of the finalists at a national or Am who have been 100% trained with this method I might be inclined to study and use but until then, I will continue to use the Carr methods every A list and most B,C & D trainers use.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I am coming up on about three years since I first heard of Bill Hillmann and his "methods". I have been fully committed to an intense study and practice of Hillmann since that time. The rate at which I continue to learn new things has not seemed to slow down. The more I learn, the more I recognize the potential for future discovery. All within Hillmann's "methods".

The reason for this is, first and foremost, Hillmann's "methods" are a philosophy for the relationship that you have with your dog and for creating the dog that you want to have within this relationship. Hillmann's Puppy DVD is the starting point for learning this philosophy; Bill does an excellent job of defining it throughout the video (both original and revised versions).

Newf, from this perspective, the answers to your questions flow simply and easily. All the Hillmann DVDs are consistent within his philosophy. The key principles are applied time and time again in every interaction and training session throughout the entire progression. From the trainer's perspective and from the dog's perspective the process is a gradual and seamless progression from Puppy and Traffic Cop, to Fetch Command, Land Fundamentals and Water Fundamentals.

The Fetch Command went very smoothly for me as someone who had never "force fetched" a dog before. I have been through this process with four dogs and am extremely happy with how much fun it can be to "force fetch" a dog with excellent results.

I own four goldens that I have trained under the Hillmann process during the past 3 years. Three are MH and the fourth needs one more MH pass to title ... hope to get that in a few weeks. This is not an extraordinary accomplishment ... I mention it only to point out that Hillmann's material is complete as preparation for MH work (that is what you seemed to be asking).

Jim

How is Hillman void of pressure? My read on his training method was teaching with low levels of pressure at any early age. Maybe I got it wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by duckstruck View Post
    # 1) I was told by them that After the Puppy Vid move onto Traffic Cop then The Fetch Command and onto the rest.
    The sequence is: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land, Fundamentals Water. Traffic Cop is basically covered in the Puppy DVD but is good for an older dog or one that is having trouble with steadiness

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    This is what Bill calls 'Balance' and part of the art of dog training that no 'program' can teach you. Each dog requires a different amount of excitement and obedience. That is what we mean when we say 'balance' those two elements according to each dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    +, it works for some
    -, it doesn't for some
    i believe dogs learn through pressure, Hillman is void of pressure. IMO the sooner dogs learn to deal with pressure the sooner they learn to comply and become team players. Like some dog foods, when there are 50% of the finalists at a national or Am who have been 100% trained with this method I might be inclined to study and use but until then, I will continue to use the Carr methods every A list and most B,C & D trainers use.
    These statements about the Hillmann program are from someone who has not watched any of Bill's videos at length.

There are many trainers who are old school and will remain old school. Those methods were effective for a large number of dogs who were able to take the 'pressure'. Many of the old time Labradors could virtually take huge amounts of pressure. I've heard of trainers using two collars instead of one to dish out the 'pressure'. As I said, this worked for a number of dogs, mostly Labradors who could take the brutality, however, there were many other breeds and some more sensitive Labs who could not.

The original E-collars had one level and it was HIGH. Then there came the collars with 5 levels and each had a plug which was inserted into the receiver end and could not be changed at will. These were the only tools available to Carr at the time, so he could not have even considered using small amounts of 'pressure'.

The E-collars of today which allow small adjustments in the stimulation level right at the transmitter have changed everything. It is a blessing for the dogs, and the result is that more breeds are becoming competitive. Bill's methods expound upon this.

One last note......Bill has taught his methods to several amateurs who have been very successful. I'll mention one, Jeff Talley and Cutter who went on to win the National Amateur. Most of these amateurs are out training their dogs to be competitive and not on RTF giving dog training tips, so I thought I would take a moment to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    One last note......Bill has taught his methods to several amateurs who have been very successful. I'll mention one, Jeff Talley and Cutter who went on to win the National Amateur. Most of these amateurs are out training their dogs to be competitive and not on RTF giving dog training tips, so I thought I would take a moment to mention that.
    I will say that I am glad Jeff's Bootie is aging out of derby this weekend