The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headshaking!

Default Headshaking!

How do I get my lab to stop shaking her head while she is comming back with the bumper or bird. She doesnt shake it like a bulldog its more like she is playing , but she sometimes drops the bumper. She also wants to cigar the bumper alot. 3 inch bumpers are the biggest problem, its like she dosent want to open her mouth wide enough to get a firm grip. She is force broke, but maybe I should put her back on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    How do I get my lab to stop shaking her head while she is comming back with the bumper or bird. She doesnt shake it like a bulldog its more like she is playing , but she sometimes drops the bumper. She also wants to cigar the bumper alot. 3 inch bumpers are the biggest problem, its like she dosent want to open her mouth wide enough to get a firm grip. She is force broke, but maybe I should put her back on the table?
    She is not force broke, or at least not fully broke. You don't mention her age. Yep, I would take her back to square one with FF in my opinion. Might look for local help from a knowledgeable trainer that knows FF. Don

Sit whistle, fetch, nick ... sit whistle ... front finish ... fetch, nick .... just some things I can think of to give her a more focused mindset in training and keep her off balanced enough to not get comfortable with playing ... that said I have the same problem and these things only help a little, but they do/did help. I've been told by some really good trainers that I could clean it up if I'd get more serious with her, but she also cuddles up in bed with me every night and is sort of cute. Give and take.

How old is she?

Dog isn't force fetched
    If she was, she would instictively reach for bumper when she drops it
    FF dogs will not cigar a bumper because they have been taught the proper way to pick it up
    FF dogs will open their mouths to grab the bumper
    She is not FF
    Suggest you revisit FF with a knowledgeble pro or am, start walking fetch when you have it right. More to FF than them taking on a table.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Have you checked her ears for infection?
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

A Dokken dummy works.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    A Dokken dummy works.
    Shouldn't matter what kind of bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Shouldn't matter what kind of bumper
    Nothing wrong with letting a dog teach himself though. I like to save my thunder whenever possible & there are a lot opportunities during FF to create other problems ( chomping, stickiness, etc.) particularly for an amateur who only does it every few yrs. When I've got the option of choosing between tools in my toolbox, I tend to try the one that is less stressful first.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I would suggest trying to find someone near you with a good track record of training dogs to a high level.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)