The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit on Whistle

Default Sit on Whistle

I am fairly new to the retriever world. Very avid hunter and have a dog who is up to par on everything on the beginner level. He is ready for hand signals but first he needs to be great on "sitting on the whistle". What are some drills and things I can do for him to grasp the idea? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bandit, are you following any formal training program such as smartworks, Lardy's TRT, or other? You can teach the sit whistle when you are healing your dog on lead and command sit, followed with a single toot of the whistle. Eventually you can replace the verbal sit command with just a single toot. But there is much more to all this, and there are programs to formally take you through all the steps one by one. I would recommend looking in to those.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I have been working with him on this drill. He sits, and I walk twenty yards away, turn around and tell him his release word. On his return to me (about 10 yards away), I blow whistle and he (half way) creeps with his rear end almost dragging the ground until he finally sits about 5 yards away from me. He drags his rear end for anywhere from 5-10 yards almost everytime. He is collar conditioned. When should I and how should I correct him with the E-Collar?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    I have been working with him on this drill. He sits, and I walk twenty yards away, turn around and tell him his release word. On his return to me (about 10 yards away), I blow whistle and he (half way) creeps with his rear end almost dragging the ground until he finally sits about 5 yards away from me. He drags his rear end for anywhere from 5-10 yards almost everytime. He is collar conditioned. When should I and how should I correct him with the E-Collar?
    Not unless or until you have trained him to perform the skill, and then not until you have e-collar conditioned him. Same question; are you following any particular program? Different trainers do this differently.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

No. Not any program in particular. Just going by what I know and pick up from other handlers. While on a lead he sits on whistle blast everytime. Just wondering what you would recommend to solve his (creeping) issue.

Your dog is likely confused. Doesn't know if you want him to return to you, doesn't know what the whistle means, and possibly isn't used to the command of sitting at a distance. Correcting with a collar would only result in more confusion and a downward spiral to your dog's willingness to play the game. Start with your dog heeling at your side. Don't add distance yet. And turn the verbal sit command into a game with an upbeat attitude and the occasional reward. Introduce the whistle ("toot-sit"), keep the attitude and rewards up, keep the sessions short. Only use the collar after you know with absolute certainty that your dog knows that is expected and chose to do something else. You're better off giving the dog the benefit of doubt than giving a correction that was ill-advised.
    HRCH UH Gaylan's One With the Wind UD MH OA NAJ WCX VCX CCA - Traveler
    HR UH Truline Rio's Pine Creek MH WCX - Piney

If you feel you have to do it at a distance, put a long rope on him and run it around a pole that is behind him when he is coming to you so that when you blow the sit command and he creeps, you can tug on the rope and check him up. But as others suggest, start at the basics first.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    Just wondering what you would recommend to solve his (creeping) issue.
    Putting that ecollar away in a drawer and obtaining a formal training program to follow, and then follow it.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

X2 what Freeze said. If you can't afford a DVD program, get Vol 1 of Mike Lardy's compilation of Ret. Journal articles. Only about $30. See banner above.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Here's an excellent, sequential approach.

Whistle Sit (link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)