The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sit on Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    I have been working with him on this drill. He sits, and I walk twenty yards away, turn around and tell him his release word. On his return to me (about 10 yards away), I blow whistle and he (half way) creeps with his rear end almost dragging the ground until he finally sits about 5 yards away from me. He drags his rear end for anywhere from 5-10 yards almost everytime. He is collar conditioned. When should I and how should I correct him with the E-Collar?
    You've got to break it down into smaller steps. BABY STEPS.

Put him on your leash ... 6' leash. He will sit beside you in the heel position, right? He will sit beside you as you stop from a walking heel and blow your whistle right?

Stand him in front, facing you at the end of your 6' leash. Whistle/"sit" from that standing position. If he doesn't sit, reach out and tug upward on the leash. If he starts to come toward you, take a step forward into him (not stepping ON him), repeat the "sit" and tug upward on the leash if necessary. Praise when he does it correctly! Don't overdo the praise, that may excite him into getting up.

Then calmly walk to him and into the heel position ... don't allow him to get up from that sit.

When you get him sitting from the end of the leash, get a longer leash. GRADUALLY increase your distance, etc. etc. etc. Expecting him to sit as he is MOVING toward you is too much, when he can't do a remote sit from standing.

Next step would be to teach him to sit while he is at a distance as he is just "snooping around", like on a walk. Just let him do his thing and when he is preoccupied, but not TOO far from you, whistle/sit and be prepared to "help" him through it just like you did on the long leash. He probably won't do it perfectly the first few times, but it shouldn't take long.

Now you might be ready to try teaching him to sit as he is moving toward you, but don't start out with him 10 yards away. Start close and gradually increase distance. (the further he is away from you, the less control you have over him ... this remains true throughout his life )

Does it seem like a lot of unnecessary steps? Does this seem like a long and stupid message? This is the way you teach him anything new his entire life. BABY STEPS.

Every dog progresses at their own pace. Pay attention to your own dog and try to "read" what's going on in his head. Always try to break a new task down into the simplest progressions you can think of. It will save you time in the long run.

Good luck.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I can't believe the ole rope around a pole advice hasn't been given already ....a sure stop for creeping toward handler ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Steve - check post #7

have been doing the whistle st and here since i started the basic obedience....give a toot and command sit....give three toos command here...has transferred into field ok for 8 month old...she will sit on toot darn near wherever she is and come on the three toots

Wayne and others...... teaching whistle commands must be on some other Lardy DVD cause I don't see it on TRT 2nd Ed. Point being you can have a program and still not have details on every aspect. Just .02

Probably the thing I'm leased impressed with ... Not much actual showing of the basics... so for a novice it might not be the best... ymmv.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Steve, Yes he does but not in the way many do it. He does it as a part of x. Read volume 1 of RJ articles to find out what "x" is.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I used to do some of what others have mentioned but no longer. I doubt anyone would recommend doing it the way I do it but it seems to work fine for me. So here it is, take it for what its worth.
    I no longer bother to specifically teach sit on the whistle. The first time my dogs hear a sit whistle is when I start 3 handed casting. I simply blow a sit whistle before every cast and the sit whistle is learned as a by product of 3 handed casting. I also blow it when they return to a front finish with the bumper. They learn to sit on the whistle very quick, a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I used to do some of what others have mentioned but no longer. I doubt anyone would recommend doing it the way I do it but it seems to work fine for me. So here it is, take it for what its worth.
    I no longer bother to specifically teach sit on the whistle. The first time my dogs hear a sit whistle is when I start 3 handed casting. I simply blow a sit whistle before every cast and the sit whistle is learned as a by product of 3 handed casting. I also blow it when they return to a front finish with the bumper. They learn to sit on the whistle very quick, a day or two.
    ^^^ this and if you need reinforcement on the stop on a come in , a 50' check cord and a pole work well as stated above.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Steve, Yes he does but not in the way many do it. He does it as a part of x. Read volume 1 of RJ articles to find out what "x" is.
    So its not in DVD sets... Its in a article? Magazine? Or you're referencing Training with Mike Lardy Volume 1.? the book? Interesting..... if so....
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger