The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy Socialization vs Parvo Protection

My resident fox walks right up to the dog runs most days, so if the area was uninhabited, it is safe to assume it is contaminated.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Do you have reason to suspect the yard is contaminated?
    Nothing specific.

Clint, check w/ dog training clubs around you. They often have great puppy classes in well sanitized bldgs w/ safe potty areas. Other places I feel very safe about taking my pups to are car dealerships (oil change time, etc?), tire shops (rotation due?), and ma and pop type hardware stores. Lowes and Home Depots often allow pets in but bring your own clean up supplies, just in case! The window on really good socialization is before 16wks.

Got a college campus nearby? You will get lots of attention there!

College chicks love puppies, regards.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Disclaimer, I'm not a vet and don't know you're area risk for Parvo.

Clint, call two of your local vet clinics and ask about Parvo in your area. Maybe it's not real prevalent.

Here's the deal. No one is going to tell you anything other than to make pup live in a bubble until it's 4 mos old, because there is a real risk.

However, I live in a rural area on the north coast and have raised my last 6 puppies roaming the country side and meeting vaccinated dogs from 8 weeks on.

My thoughts are: Parvo can be tracked into your home on your shoes, on others shoes, on vaccinated dogs feet, noses. On your car tires. So if you're not keeping your pup in a completely sterile environment and taking off your shoes and clothes before entering the pup's living quarters etc. you could be exposing him/her to Parvo.

If you're not going to live in a bubble, you may as well take measured risks to socialize your pup. Do you have another dog or cat already? If so, they can bring parvo in from the back yard. Therefore, you may as well let pup into the backyard.

Are you walking into the house with your shoes and clothes after walking in the yard or other public areas? if so, you may as well let you pup be in those areas. Are people from other neighborhoods coming to visit pup? Etc...

Definitely don't take pup out to potty at the lawn outside McDonalds, or at a dog park or the vets office. Or where lots of strays or unvaccinated dogs may play. But I like the idea of taking measured risks.

I take my pups to empty cow pastures/hay fields. To the woods next door, to the elementary school nearby, and to the beach.

Seems to me, if you got the pup from a well vaccinated dam, pup will have some immunity from her as well as the first vacc. And not exposing pup to other dogs before they are 12 weeks is risking poor socialization, as the socialization period ends at 12 weeks. Can't imagine a pup living in a bubble til they are 4 months old!

Lastly, while Parvo is awful and life threatening, it can also be treatable if caught early.

Currently, I have 3 dogs, one is 4.5 months old, got him at 10 weeks. I own a dog boarding/daycare facility and am in contact with lots of different dogs every day. I'm not going to keep a new pup separate from my other 2 adult dogs who are in contact with the rest of the world in a measured risk kind of way, and i'm not going to disrobe and shower before entering my pup's living area - which is my house. Therefore, it seems silly to limit my pup's contact with the rest of the world except in a measured risk kind of way.
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 03-27-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Thank you Jennifer for the response. My kids play sports so and quite often forget to take there shoes off outside so there is a risk that we can track it in. Parvo is very prevalent in the area that I live. I will still take your advise and contact the local vets. Thanks you very much.

Clint

It really depends on what you read. I recently read a book called "Decoding your dog" written by some "top" veterinary behaviorists that said... "the risk involved with not socializing far outweighs the risk of disease".

I'm playing conservative with my puppy but we are definitely out and about in areas with dogs present.

I wouldn't go to the dog park but that's about risk of injury as opposed to disease.
    Darrin Greene