The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAFCO Admits Rendered Pets in Pet Food

Default AAFCO Admits Rendered Pets in Pet Food

Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

when I was at animal control in Jefferson county Wa all of our animals that we euthanised went to the rendering plant. this was 97? I have been careful about labels on dogfood ever since. feeding all kinds of tumerous cancer, and pentathol to my dog is low on my prioity list

Soylent Green!

I dont feel so good. Tumerous cancer...pentathol....
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Incredibly disturbing.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Read the comments underneath. Takes 99% of the spin away.

There is a pretty big difference between saying "there *are* dead pets in pet food" and "there's no law that says they can't use dead pets". Reading/listening for actual comprehension rather than drama is a good thing.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

And Purina was caught... they are the biggest user of rendered animals.

Ann Martin wrote a book called Food Pets Die For... she has never been sued for what she wrote because she obtained all her information by using the Freedom of Information Act and has quotes from Renderer's, large city animal control personal, etc. Dead dogs and cats do get sent to the Rendering Plants. It is why when one sees Ingredient panels the use of un-named animals basically is telling you that any animal was used to make the food. These are usually low end foods, except for the one tome Pro Plan Beef formula had the PTS chemicals in the kibble. That was most likely from Diseased cattle being PTS or that the renderer's just do not label anything correctly.

The reason why Purina, and Euk Iams, will not tell you much about their products is they do want to keep it secret. In the last few years it is also been learned that research animals studied for their tumors and responce to treatments also go to rendering plants.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    And Purina was caught... they are the biggest user of rendered animals.

Ann Martin wrote a book called Food Pets Die For... she has never been sued for what she wrote because she obtained all her information by using the Freedom of Information Act and has quotes from Renderer's, large city animal control personal, etc. Dead dogs and cats do get sent to the Rendering Plants. It is why when one sees Ingredient panels the use of un-named animals basically is telling you that any animal was used to make the food. These are usually low end foods, except for the one tome Pro Plan Beef formula had the PTS chemicals in the kibble. That was most likely from Diseased cattle being PTS or that the renderer's just do not label anything correctly.

The reason why Purina, and Euk Iams, will not tell you much about their products is they do want to keep it secret. In the last few years it is also been learned that research animals studied for their tumors and responce to treatments also go to rendering plants.

I am sure that pet food companies have a lot of disturbing items that comprise their food. I for one don't buy any of the big corporations products. However, as a medical researcher involved in animal research for more than 2 decades I can say that none of our animals were disposed of to rendering plants. In fact, under guidance of IACUC rules and protocols (an external/internal board that reviews and approves all research involving animal use) you would be hard pressed to find a facility that receives federal funding would be participating in such disposal practices (which is almost all research facilities). This is especially true of USDA-governed research animals (since I work, write protocols and have had the displeasure of meeting USDA federal inspectors) who must maintain paperwork all the way through to off-site disposal typically through the use of large incinerators to dispose of the bodies. At the very least, every institution I have worked at has never used a biohazard waste company that would make use of this practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jrrichar View Post
    I am sure that pet food companies have a lot of disturbing items that comprise their food. I for one don't buy any of the big corporations products. However, as a medical researcher involved in animal research for more than 2 decades I can say that none of our animals were disposed of to rendering plants. In fact, under guidance of IACUC rules and protocols (an external/internal board that reviews and approves all research involving animal use) you would be hard pressed to find a facility that receives federal funding would be participating in such disposal practices (which is almost all research facilities). This is especially true of USDA-governed research animals (since I work, write protocols and have had the displeasure of meeting USDA federal inspectors) who must maintain paperwork all the way through to off-site disposal typically through the use of large incinerators to dispose of the bodies. At the very least, every institution I have worked at has never used a biohazard waste company that would make use of this practice.
    It was in the news a fews year back. Yes , they are not supposed to handle research animals dead bodies by rendering. But it happened. The place got caught.

Bottom line, try not to feed low end pet foods. Anything can be in it. If it is not named, it is not good. With DNA testing the Pet Food companies are now saying un named animal digest, etc.

People say dogs eat feces, they can eat anything. Just ask yourself how the worms and parasite affect your dogs health. You don't need to be adding to the strain on there system removing any man made chemicals.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

damn, if I hadn't been feeding my Goldens that crap Purina food maybe the one would have lived longer than the almost 17 years she lived, and the other longer than the 14 years he lived.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com