The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: An interesting read

Default An interesting read

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson

An interesting discussion of philisophically different views of government.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Another one by another pretty smart guy.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...r-davis-hanson
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson

An interesting discussion of philisophically different views of government.
    Matt,
    Thanks for sharing....I did not like the way this guy 'beat around the bush' listing all the transgressions of the past from both Repub's and Dem's. I think writers do this so the Dem's cannot just yell at them "Well you guys did it too"....but it would of saved all of us time if he had just outlined all the current Dem's under investigation, including 'Dingy' Harry Reid.....and let the Dem's Yell "You guys did it too"! Cause they will yell it anyway....

Another one by another pretty smart guy.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...r-davis-hanson
    This article was much better, except I have the same fear and perspective as the writer....thus the 'popularity' of Congress is in the bottom of the toilet. Not to mention the main stream media...and most Federal Offices, IRS, NSA, CIA, etc. None of it is a good sign for the next generation.

My Dad fought in WWII, he fought against a terrible evil....I think my generation has seriously failed that generation.....at least that is one man's opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Matt,
    Thanks for sharing....I did not like the way this guy 'beat around the bush' listing all the transgressions of the past from both Repub's and Dem's. I think writers do this so the Dem's cannot just yell at them "Well you guys did it too"....but it would of saved all of us time if he had just outlined all the current Dem's under investigation, including 'Dingy' Harry Reid.....and let the Dem's Yell "You guys did it too"! Cause they will yell it anyway....
    Swampy as always you are amazing and amusing
    I guess in your world it would have been better to only bring up the transgressions of the Dems. Don't need to list transgressions of the Repubs; because they are all good guys.
    Then you could prove it because their transgressions got swept under the rug in the great idealized world that is "Swampland"
    "Fair & Balanced" ...regards

To me, the two most important points of the article are these:

"You cannot expand the scope and scale of government without expanding in parallel the scope and scale of government corruption. And government corruption is as natural as catching cold."

And

"When a conservative suffers from a moral failing, it is taken as an indictment of conservatism itself, even though conservatism in the Anglo–Protestant tradition is founded upon the expectation that moral failing is universal. In that sense, every Scott DesJarlais tells conservatives what we already know: that man is a fallen creature, and that, contra the Obamacare regime, there are no exemptions to be handed out from that condition, no waivers from human nature. The progressive view, on the other hand, is that our politics and our institutions could be channels of moral action and reliably ethical arbiters of such ill-defined standards as “fairness” and “social justice,” if only we put the right people in power.
    But there are no right people."
    Matt McKenzie

"You cannot expand the scope and scale of government without expanding in parallel the scope and scale of government corruption. And government corruption is as natural as catching cold."

And

"When a conservative suffers from a moral failing, it is taken as an indictment of conservatism itself, even though conservatism in the Anglo–Protestant tradition is founded upon the expectation that moral failing is universal. In that sense, every Scott DesJarlais tells conservatives what we already know: that man is a fallen creature, and that, contra the Obamacare regime, there are no exemptions to be handed out from that condition, no waivers from human nature. The progressive view, on the other hand, is that our politics and our institutions could be channels of moral action and reliably ethical arbiters of such ill-defined standards as “fairness” and “social justice,” if only we put the right people in power.
    Matt....
    As they say, our form of government has a lot of problems with it, but to date, it is the best form of government in the world!

And

Were our ruling class subject to the same rules all of us were there would be no issue with corruption.
    IMO, a corrupt individual acting in an official capacity & circumventing the law should have the key
    thrown away when convicted.

You can't legislate morals - Unfortunately people get to self label & can call themselves anything they
    desire. With a sympathetic press they get away with it, .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!