RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Coolers...Yeti vs Grizzly

32K views 58 replies 48 participants last post by  M&K's Retrievers 
#1 ·
First of all, are they even worth the money? If so, which is the better value?

Thanks!
Kyle

#4 ·
I don't own one but have looked at them. They're heavy, normal sized on the outside, but pretty small on the inside with the thicker insulation.

I decided to buy ice more often and kept my old cooler.

#5 ·
I have a couple of yetti's. As posted previously, heavy and relatively small capacity due to significantly thicker sides/insulation. For general use, not worth the expense and weight. Also, if you are going to be routinely opening the lid, the extra insulation does not do a lot of good. However, for long hunting trips where you need to store subsantial provisions and "buy more ice" is not an option, very hard to beat. I have gone on week long duck hunting trips in south louisiana where we camp in the marsh for a week and still had frozen food/ice when we hit the dock.

#12 ·
Defiantly not a status symbol. I've been a saltwater fishing guide for close to 20 years. I've gone through dozens of Coleman and igloo coolers. People sitting on them and they finally cave in standing on them as well. Then stopping every morning wether I have to or not just to get ice. Have had a Yeti now for a couple years one for the boat one for the truck. Problems solved, like the ads say "it will be the last cooler you'll ever own" if nothing else they are tuff and they do hold ice longer.
I have a Yeti 105 on my boat and I would agree with both Scott and Bamaboy...If used in the right application you can't beat a Yeti. However, just as a weekend beer cooler they are too expensive, heavy, and ineffective...

As Bill says get the X-tream (I own one of those too) you won't be disappointed.

Randy

#9 ·
I have owned and used a Yeti now for the last 2 years and would not trade it for any other cooler. Granted it is expensive but have gotten a great deal of use out of mine, and would recommend it to you if you can get a size that works for you.

#10 ·
Defiantly not a status symbol. I've been a saltwater fishing guide for close to 20 years. I've gone through dozens of Coleman and igloo coolers. People sitting on them and they finally cave in standing on them as well. Then stopping every morning wether I have to or not just to get ice. Have had a Yeti now for a couple years one for the boat one for the truck. Problems solved, like the ads say "it will be the last cooler you'll ever own" if nothing else they are tuff and they do hold ice longer.

#14 ·
I saw my first Yetis years ago on a 5 day float trip in MT and finally plunked down the bucks for my first one after a redfish trip in Titusville when I walked in to a dealer. It is one of the few things I have ever bought that I really felt was worth the extra $$ versus what I had always done. I now have a couple in different sizes. I know that there are similar models out there like the grizzly now and can't say if they are better or worse. I will say I like my Yetis way more than the Coleman extreme. It really comes in handy on a fishing/hunting trip when getting ice is not easy.

It is less valuable at a weekend trial, but if you want to check one out, stop by my truck and fish a beer out of my cooler--I guarantee you it will be nice and frosty. :)

#17 ·
Even though everyone on the circuit knows which closet my cooler tray is in and are always dipping their hands in to help themselves, they are quite cold, I assure you. The only issue might be if the rascals take them all and I have to refill with the backup stash. Then you might have to have some wine or liquor while we wait for the beer to cool down.

Unfortunately you won't be able to test it at Cheraw this weekend. We are up in Emporia.

#19 · (Edited)
I HATE name brand stuff; that said I was Up for 2 weeks on a training trip in MT this summer, training buddies have a Yeti; they had an ice block when they started they had a smaller ice block when we left; it was a running joke that the thing was making ice. SO dang it they do work; albeit being heavy; hard to transport, not the easiest thing to open, and easy to trip over in the dark (they got a sticker that says bear proof; didn't test that; but are definitely drunken handler proof) ;).

#23 ·
I purchased a Yeti last year and traveled multiple weekends during the summer for a bunch of FT's and was very pleased with the cooler! Much better than my previous run of the mill cooler! Looking forward to using agin this summer if it ever warms up!

#24 ·
I have a 50qt Yeti that I use for trials and weekend training. They are extremely well built and hold ice reasonably well. In Florida/South Georgia you still need to add ice over a 3 day weekend during the summer. If I were getting a new ice chest I would consider an Engel. I saw a head to head test between the two and the Engel won by a considerable margin. The other brand that looks promising and is less expensive is the K2 line of coolers.

Buck

#26 ·
Any ice chest you have to lock up to keep from walking off is a waste of money. Coleman extreme is good and it doesn't need a cable lock to stay in the back of your truck. Not good for fishing but works for beer very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.