The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Coolers...Yeti vs Grizzly

Love my 50qt Yeti, for me it was worth the money. It works great for the FT & HT games.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    All you guys who are so rough on your coolers... Are you that rough on all your other gear? I have been an outdoorsman all my life. Lived in Alaska for 21 years and hunted from one end of the state to the other. In and out of riverboats, planes, trucks, trains, you name it. Never once ripped the lid off a regular old cooler. Just trying to imagine what you guys are doing. Are you out there pretending you are making Jim Shockey TV commercials?

I am afraid you have fallen for the hype. Having lived in bear country all that time, I never once had a bear actually get in one of my plain jane coolers. (Or even try too) did have one get in a bag of freeze dried food, and rip a gun case...

Go ahead and spend hundreds on a cooler... Not me. I still have several Coleman Extremes and an Igloo in the garage that do the job just fine. If I need a ladder, I'll get a ladder.
    These days if you camp at a campground in bear country you are required to have all your food etc. in a bear proof container. These bear proof coolers would be nice to have in these areas. Last year I tent camped at a USDA Forest camp ground in the Island Park, Idaho, area along the river during a Grizzly scare, and you weren't even supposed to leave your stove out. Even if you don't use an official camp ground, most people just don't leave stuff out that bears can get into because of all the warnings.

Meanwhile, I am a big fan of the Coleman Extreme. I tent camped for about two weeks this summer for our trials in the mountains. I was going through a lot of ice with my 15 year old Igloo marine cooler, so I picked up one of the 70ish QT Coleman extremes about half way through. It was awesome, kept my food cold for the rest of the week (never had to add ice), and was less bulky than the Igloo. Only cost about $40 at Walmart.

One thing I don't like about the Coleman Extremes is that they do not latch. I fear it tipping over, and the contents spilling because the lid doesn't latch.
    Last edited by mitty; 09-22-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    These days if you camp at a campground in bear country you are required to have all your food etc. in a bear proof container. These bear proof coolers would be nice to have in these areas. Last year I tent camped at a USDA Forest camp ground in the Island Park, Idaho, area along the river during a Grizzly scare, and you weren't even supposed to leave your stove out. Even if you don't use an official camp ground, most people just don't leave stuff out that bears can get into because of all the warnings.

Meanwhile, I am a big fan of the Coleman Extreme. I tent camped for about two weeks this summer for our trials in the mountains. I was going through a lot of ice with my 15 year old Igloo marine cooler, so I picked up one of the 70ish QT Coleman extremes about half way through. It was awesome, kept my food cold for the rest of the week (never had to add ice), and was less bulky than the Igloo. Only cost about $40 at Walmart.

One thing I don't like about the Coleman Extremes is that they do not latch. I fear it tipping over, and the contents spilling because the lid doesn't latch.
    Xtremes are good and when shut fully never fear the lid opening, one reason I don't use them on the boat. Too difficult to put fish in with one hand.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I've had good luck with yeti coolers but I've never tried a grizzly. I may get a grizzly just to compare and see if there is a difference.

totally agree they are not a status symbol, if you like quality products that last then the yetis are great, if you like buying a new cheap cooler every year for above reasons and warm beer keep buying the cheap stuff. Great investment for a true outdoorsman.