The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coolers...Yeti vs Grizzly

Default Good choice for dog games

I needed a cooler for a double Master test In Lost Hills, California. I would be tent camping for four days but mid-May usually doesn't get too hot. I didn't expect the temperature to get over 90. Based on this thread (and some additional research) I decided to try the Coleman Ultra Xtreme 58 quart 6 day cooler. Coleman rates this cooler "6 days at 90 degrees".

Wednesday mid-day I packed the cooler with 2 one gallon plastic water jugs frozen solid. I then placed enough food and drinks for four days. Over this I added 20 pounds of ice cubes. There was still room for an additional 4 pound block that I placed on top. This totaled 40 pounds of ice or about 20 quarts or just about one third the capacity of the cooler.

It was still daylight and pretty warm Wednesday evening when I finished setting up. The surprise came Thursday when the temperature hit 108! Friday was also very hot. My vehicle thermometer read 107 at one point. It wasn't till Sunday that the temp dropped to around 90. The cooler had been kept in the closed tent which was stifling during the day.

When I got home Sunday PM the two ice jugs were still half frozen, the 4 pound block was 75% melted and there were still some cubes floating in the water. What food and drinks that were left over were still cold.

This cooler was not designed for bear country but for the dog games where it will be in the back of a truck or camper I don't think you can beat the value.
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

I got a yeti 50 2 years ago I have absolutely loved it. They are tough as nails and I have used mine as a great training tool. Have used it as a ladder/step for dogs to get in and out of the truck, as a seat when working on bucket work, and used it as a stand for dogs during training as well as hunting when their stand accidentally got left behind. I am extremely rough on coolers and this is the only one that has ever lasted me over a year.

I have both the 45qt yeti and a 58qt colmen 6 day marine extreme. they both keep ice the same so unless you need the durability of the super coolers save the money and get the Coleman.
    Duane
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

Have you seen this new co branded cooler.
    Coleman Price with Yeti Flashy Label.
    Guaranteed to make you "feel" better about spending $75 vs. $375
    Yeti.jpg
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

i do a lot of summer fishing here in louisiana, on my bass boat there is no way to keep the cooler out of the sun so it just sits on deck and cooks in the godforsaken heat. Had the marine extreme and my wife bought me a 46qt yeti. yeti just keeps ice better, way better under summertime conditions where i live. No complaints on the marine extreme (still use it often) just not even close to the yeti under these conditions. Does that make it worth the money? for me-yes.
    just bought a Roadie to put in the side by side for weekend mud rides.

All you guys who are so rough on your coolers... Are you that rough on all your other gear? I have been an outdoorsman all my life. Lived in Alaska for 21 years and hunted from one end of the state to the other. In and out of riverboats, planes, trucks, trains, you name it. Never once ripped the lid off a regular old cooler. Just trying to imagine what you guys are doing. Are you out there pretending you are making Jim Shockey TV commercials?

I am afraid you have fallen for the hype. Having lived in bear country all that time, I never once had a bear actually get in one of my plain jane coolers. (Or even try too) did have one get in a bag of freeze dried food, and rip a gun case...

Go ahead and spend hundreds on a cooler... Not me. I still have several Coleman Extremes and an Igloo in the garage that do the job just fine. If I need a ladder, I'll get a ladder.
    Bill Davis

Nshsidhevdvddk

Anyone have one of Pelicans new ice chest? I've heard they are pretty nice too. Like to see one.

Bought a Coleman XTreme then won a Yeti in a raffle. The Coleman holds ice just a well as the Yeti, but the Yeti is much tougher on the outside.

What about the 55qt igloo sportsman coolers? $200 from sams...

http://www.igloosportsman.com/

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsm....ip?navAction=