The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little fun

Smile A little fun

Lets try a little role reversal to stimulate some conversation.

You are a retriever puppy, wanting to hunt and do HT's or FT's.
    You are looking to pick your new owner / handler.

What traits or commitment do you look for in an owner/ handler?
    What type of environment would you like to move into?

Its my hopes that by answering these questions will instill some adjustments into the mindset or give those wanting to get their 1st pup or start the HT's or FT's a better understanding of what commitment you should make to your dog.

I would like an owner who takes me for long walks as well as trains me. Someone who has a routine for me to follow and is consistent with praise and corrections.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I would want an owner who is not afraid of a little dog hair in the house and has a king sized bed so there is room at the bottom for me to sleep.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

I would want an owner with a FAT wallet, so I could travel and be trained by the best of the best! (Gold Digger)
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

1- I want an owner that isn't a couch potato but doesn't care if I am.
    2- And when I'm not on the couch my owner has me on a date with a cute little blond number.

I would want an owner who is patient, consistent, fair, attentive, fun-loving, and active.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Labrador retrievers care about 2 things. Their owner/family and retrieving game. The perfect home from a puppy standpoint would take them everywhere. Hunt every day during any weather. Travel to extend the hunting season and have plenty of money to hunt the best places. All my dogs do not understand limits & simply want to pick up ducks. So a poacher who consistently shot way over the limit would fit the bill. If baiting laws were broken, so much the better. Labs are some of the biggest game hogs on earth so the outlaw would be a perfect owner. A small child that would feed them table food & sneak the pup in bed at night is also a must. During the off season, shot flyers daily in training.
    Mark Land

I would want to be owned by Chad Baker. Hopefully I would get my NAFC FC and then be studded out several times a week. If you're gonna dream then dream big!

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

If I was a pup and could choose only 1 trait in a owner/handler it would be patience.

Someone who smells nice , like to play and feds me nice food whenever I am hungry.