The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do differently with your puppy if you could?

Default What would you do differently with your puppy if you could?

New puppy on the way next week. Should be full of go. Just wondering if you could go back to the drawing board, is there anything you would do differently? Is the anything you would absolutely do the same?
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Change - I would teach more and correct less.

Not change - I would still take them for walks that have nothing to do with training, just have fun with them.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Change; I would not worry if my 9 week old puppy didn't have the drive to retrieve......It always shows up quickly enough.

Keep the same: Lot's of us time.

Change: Slow down, don't nit pick, and more marks!

Keep the same: steady at an early age

I would not have listened to the numerous different advice I got from people trying to help. While they all meant well, lots of it did not work for my dog. Caused a few problems etc. I would have stuck with one person and progressed forward from there.

Find a program and follow it!

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    Change - I would teach more and correct less.

Not change - I would still take them for walks that have nothing to do with training, just have fun with them.
    X2. More teaching, less correcting. More fully appreciate how poorly dogs generalize. A new field, a different terrain, a different distance, etc., make it a different exercise to a green dog. Until the concept "clicks" teach, teach, teach.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Change I'd remember that pups are individuals and will develop at their own pace, rather than trying to push them to surpass or keep up with their siblings/or other pups, that were doing this or that at some age. Also that males and females are completely different animals; boys seem to need a lot more encouragement which is not my forte, girls seem to be tuff, they pick things up quicker; but like to test you; basically you've got to be bi-polar if you decide to train one of each at the same time, .

Not-Change The research and time put into finding a dam and sire, that fit my life-style/needs and balanced each other; then considering myself lucky that if the pups took after either one, or a combo of both. I'd be perfectly happy .

Also Hunt them early, hunt them often, and give them as much real world experiences as they can absorb; I got these dogs to hunt, testing and titles are a side-line, As you get drawn into training; it becomes easy to forget. Have a few good friends that will bonk you on the side of your head, when you start saying crazy things like I can't go hunting; I have to train, I have a test .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-31-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Great questions!

Change: More birds. More patience. Less corrections. Simulate hunting scenarios better.

Not-Change: Timing. I thought I nearly ruined a great dog by taking some time off due to a family crisis when the pup was 8-11 months old. It turns out everything he learned in those first 6-7 months was all still in there and now is ready to be polished to a shine.

Work with him or her for 10 minutes every day and take them with me on social trips at least once per day.
    watch Bill Hillman and Jackie Mertens every day. JMO
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Buck