Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDG..Alaska in August?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Jerry,
    Thanks, I will be sending you a PM.

Don,
    I'm guessing that we will be flying into Anchorage. I need all the help that I can get.

Lonnie Spann
    Lonnie

Hit me closer to when your coming up. I'll make some suggestions then depending on time of year and local skuttle butt.
    I like going North of Anchorage. Almost never go south, esp. in the summer. To much hustle and bustle for me. I refuse to fish where I need to stand shoulder to shoulder. The Kenai River salmon runs depend on the commercial fishing in the Cook Inlet. I can't tell you when the King Salmon fishing died on the Kenai but over the past few years, it is all but gone. On the other hand the Red runs in the Kenai have been fantastic in the past years but again dependent on the commercial fishing openers and closures.
    The streams north of Wasilla to Cantwell offer class A trout fishing. Easy to walk in from the road and could be real good for salmon depending on runs. The sights are free but most travel off the man roads are going to cost you, depending on how you go. Plenty to do and see in this very big country.
    If I am around I can take you on a boat ride up the Knik River. I'll know if the fishing is good on the Knik or a waste of time but the views up in the lakes are killer and it's where we hunt.
    Don Lietzau
    Easy to find me. Just Google Anchorage Go Devil

If I was going to AK again, there are a few things I'd do. Golf. Nothing is cooler than hitting a 3/4 PW stiff @ midnight. I'd fish for halibut with a charter out of Ninilchik. The AK state fair is in Palmer & in Aug. Seward was cool for the 4th weekend many years ago when I got back from the sandbox. Homer wasn't bad. I would not waste my time/money on a cruise of any sort. If I had time, then I'd fish for the salmon. Oh, I forgot, The White Spot Cafe in Anchorage. Get a halibut sandwich there.

There is something else Alaska has besides the outstanding outdoor activities....they have some very fine micro breweries....I am not a big beer drinker, but I do enjoy Alaska Amber beer, did not care for the IPA, there were a couple of other local beers in Soldotna that I tried and it must be the water because the beers had a clean fresh taste and went well with the halibut, and the king salmon and the biggest darn crab legs I have ever seen...Clint sent his wife about 20lbs of them and a few of the crab legs were longer than my arm and I wear a 35-36 inch sleeve
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I was a brewer at Midnight Sun Brewing company- and yes- definitely plenty of good beer.

Get away from the Kenai crowds. I'd highly recommend the Bristol Bay area and specifically the Naknek, Illiamna and Katmai National Park areas.

Fly from Anchorage into King Salmon and get out in the bush.

There's probably a few spots in Anchorage Bon could tell you about Lonnie, but your son isn't old enough to get in...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    There's probably a few spots in Anchorage Bon could tell you about Lonnie, but your son isn't old enough to get in...
    Nope, we had a couple of young teens with us so the only bar we saw was the salad bar at Golden Corral
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

[QUOTE= ...The White Spot Cafe in Anchorage. Get a halibut sandwich there.[/QUOTE]

August is primetime in the valley. bring spinning rods for silvers and your 5weights for grayling. hunt test august 16thish also... grouse hunting starts up in august also.