The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Level a dog should be at? Thoughts

Sorry it worked out that way for you. There are a lot of good trainers out there that wish this would never happen to anyone. Post #9 makes a VERY VALID point. I hope you can get your dog on track.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    Damn Bubba, he has every right to ask. Some people are a bit novice at some point. Yea, maybe he should have gotten some references, but he didn't bring the trainers name out and trash it ( I would have most likely just for being blown off on the phone), and to find a general concensus as to where the dog should have been ( which by the grace of God, most agreed to on here) , you would have to ask to learn.
    For the life of me I do not understand why a bad trainer or bad breeders name is not brought up in public forum. I am a reasonable guy, always give the benefit, but if your going to flat out screw me, I will work you over in a serious way. Just one of my many weaker traits. Don

Sorry, for your experience with your dog. I have been lucky to work with very good trainers that are local. I always want to see my dog every couple weeks and see how they are doing. If a dog is not making progress after a few months and they have been worked I have the choice to decide if the dog is not talented enough or if training and $ should continue. Good trainers will not always turn every dog into a great dog because every dog does not have the potential even if the pedigree says it should. Set up realistic goals for your dog with your trainer and work towards these goals. If your dog falls short of the goals it is often the dog and not the trainer. (In your case it might be the trainer do to lack of work) Best way to see how a trainer works is at trials and tests. A trainers strengths and weaknesses really show.
    Last edited by billbe; 03-31-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    For the life of me I do not understand why a bad trainer or bad breeders name is not brought up in public forum. I am a reasonable guy, always give the benefit, but if your going to flat out screw me, I will work you over in a serious way. Just one of my many weaker traits. Don
    Better bring your lawyer and your money....

I'm not going to bash the guy on here or give out any names. That's just not who I am or what my purpose was of starting this post

i can understand why you dont want to bash a guy, but man he worked you for some hard
    earned money. Why not help the next guy that may think about sending their dog to this
    idiot. It is no different thatn product review- he sucked & didnt do what he said he was going to do. Otherwise, why bring it up, you knew where & what level your dog should be @

just because a dog has a regal bloodline, it is no guarantee of success...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

For those who want to provide a public means of reviewing a professionals training are welcomed to start their own resources to provide that information, but as far as RTF, the liability of slander or precieved slander is on the owner of this resource and he has setup the guidelines for its use. So respect that decision.

FOM
    RTF Moderator
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

If a dog doesn't have what it takes it would have shown up much sooner than one year. In my opinion it should have become apparent in about three months.
    On the other hand I would have been visiting the trainer and watching him work my dog.
    To the OP did you visit the kennel during training?

I only had to block one client's calls. Had a decent dog but he would call
    practically ever day while I was training. Then he would call from another phone. So I had to just stop answering the phone during training hours.

Without naming anyone did you check any references on this trainer?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-31-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by PATG View Post
    i can understand why you dont want to bash a guy, but man he worked you for some hard
    earned money. Why not help the next guy that may think about sending their dog to this
    idiot. It is no different thatn product review- he sucked & didnt do what he said he was going to do. Otherwise, why bring it up, you knew where & what level your dog should be @
    A noble sentiment for sure. but you get the info and flying gets sued and gets the opportunity to prove that, but for this trainer not doing what he said he would do, which I bet there are very few if any definitive records of, the dog would be at X stage in training. Very closely related to throwing good money after bad.

Sadly, knowing something happened and being able to prove it by a preponderance of the evidence are two very different things.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 03-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"