The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between a zero score and a "nonscore" in AKC Hunting Tests

Default Difference between a zero score and a "nonscore" in AKC Hunting Tests

The difference between a zero score and a "nonscore" in AKC Hunting Tests is discussed on page 40 in "Regulations and Guidelines for AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers." I'm not sure I can distinguish between the two. A zero is given when a dog is not able (failed) to exhibit an ability. The nonscore is given when the dog was not given the opportunity to attempt to show that he/she could complete the ability. How could a judge not give every dog a chance to try? Wouldn't every dog entered have a chance? And how do you calculate an "X" into the dog's score. I am sure I am missing something. Can anyone help?

Well...I have received both. My dog broke and I'm sure that I got a ZERO. My dog crept out a mere 20 feet and wouldn't reheel, Judge had me pick him up and I'm sure that I got a "non score". I'm just guessing on these as I was too ashamed to ask.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

The dog is not given the opportunity to exhibit marking on a blind retrieve, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Well...I have received both. My dog broke and I'm sure that I got a ZERO. My dog crept out a mere 20 feet and wouldn't reheel, Judge had me pick him up and I'm sure that I got a "non score". I'm just guessing on these as I was too ashamed to ask.

Lonnie Spann
    That would be TWO zero's on trainability
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Perseverance; there was nothing particularly demanding in the test that required perseverance?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    The dog is not given the opportunity to exhibit marking on a blind retrieve, for example.
    But the judge's evaluation form does not provide for a score for marking so a score in marking on a blind is not calculated into the "average score all series." Looks like a zero or a noscore would not be applicable in that case. What about this situation: The dog is an excellent marker and on a triple in the first series, he lines each bird without even a hint of a hunt--he does not get a chance to show his "hunting" ability. In the other two series, he had to hunt but each was well within the area of the fall and deserved a score above 8. Could the judges give him a noscore (an X) for the hunting category in the first series because they had nothing to evaluate and score? Then how would the X be calculated into the average score? Assume there were 3 marking series in the hunting test. The judges will have to give 3 separate scores (0 - 10) for marking, style, perseverance (which includes hunting) and divide each by 3 for an average. In our scenario, the judges give him an X for hunting. Do they now divide the scores left by 2 for the average? But hunting is a characteristic in the "Perseverance" category as is courage. If they give this dog an X, they are eliminating a dog that may show exceptional courage, like having to break skim ice to get in the water. Again, I suspect that I am missing something pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by pagedog View Post
    Again, I suspect that I am missing something pretty simple.
    Yes. Read the rules again and it will explain it. A nonscore is given when the opportunity to score the dog on that ability did not present itself, not because the judges decided not to let the dog do something. An "X" does not go into the denominator, so while a 8,6,4 would give you an average of 6 a 8,6,X would give an average of 7.

Think of it as I explained it the first time--a dog cannot exhibit marking on a blind--yet the AKC filled in the box under marking with an X instead of shading it for you.

A non-score is not taken into account during the tabulation, there was nothing to score thus it's doesn't hinder and it doesn't help. Example; 3 triples one has a diversion (the other 2 series don't have a diversion = (non-score XX), thus the only grade the dog will get for the diversion is whatever it scored in the one series) (8,X,X =8). A zero (is a failure of a tested skill), if I recall a 0 in a skill-set is automatic failure, however if the dog got say a 1 or 2 those scores would be taken in to account in the tabulation (1+8+7)/3 average score in that category= 5 could still be in mathematically, depending on the scores all the other categories. Basically non-score = Can't knock a dog for a skill it was never tested on, but (Zero-low score) Shows a failure of a tested skill.

Had a Judge tell me once, after a phenomenal first series and an interesting circumstance (trailing); that the dogs scores were so high; if she had only gotten a 1 we'd still be in; said judge's name is in a little book somewhere .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-31-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by pagedog View Post
    ....... What about this situation: The dog is an excellent marker and on a triple in the first series, he lines each bird without even a hint of a hunt--he does not get a chance to show his "hunting" ability..........
    sure he did, it just didn't take him very long
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

We'll kep it simple.

In Junior, a bird goes up and down and the dog sits quietly at heel. The dog is released and promptly leaves. After a couple of minutes and for whatever reason, the handler blows the whistle and the dog sits. The handler give a right angle back and the dog takes it and proceeds 20 yards to the bird, picks it up and returns to deliver to hand.

The dog will get high marks for trainability, probably for perseverance, and probably for style. What about marking? The dog will receive no score for marking for that series because he didn't demonstrate marking. When all the scores are tabulated and averaged, the average for marking will come from 3 scores, not 4.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge