The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking Accuracy

Default Marking Accuracy

I have a 7 mo BLF FT hopeful that I am trying to guage how to bring her along on Marking.

Marks from the line or walk-outs to about 100 yds she is very solid, even the few times I have tried her in heavy cover.

The past couple weeks I have stretched her out to 150-200 yd walk-out singles in no/light cover with no real factors, and she misses on some of these.

Last night, her first mark (150 yds, no/light cover, flat throw, cross wind, orange bumber) was a typical miss. She blew by it about 20 yds upwind, went about 30-40 yds deep, hunted back until she got downwind, and worked it back to the fall. The hunt seem like it took forever, but probably lasted 10-15 secs. At this distance, she never breaks down to hunt short and stays on the correct side of the throw.

Any opinions?

1. Slow-down. Shorten-up/simplify (white bumpers?) so she nails nearly every mark.
    2. Keep up with some of these tougher marks, she seems to be working them out.
    3. Stretch her out even further, as long as she is driving to the AOF.
    4. Something else?

My plan for now is #2 as long as i see improvement, but I do not want to push things too fast.

Thank you for any input.

Jeff
    Jeff

don't use an orange bumper on marks.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

This early I would be looking to build confidence not induce failure.
    Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant!

With an orange bumper, that sounds like a pretty good mark. Both earlier comments are on target - use white, look for high percentage success.
    Chuck

Sounds like your little girl is doing fine, at 7months old confidence and mometum is the name of the game. A dog that always gets the bird will always get it's bird!

When I start adding variables to a young dogs marks I always stager those seccesions with plenty of park marks. BIG WHITE bummpers on flat green grass. You can TEACH a lot of concepts while building confidence on a flat green field with WHITE bummpers.

Have fun.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Orange bumpers are for blinds. Dogs typically don't see orange on a green grass background. They see white. Make it all very visible. Gunner should wear white, too.

If you throw an orange bumper and dog makes it to the area of the fall and doesn't see the bumper, confidence is weakened.

Show off! I bet the gunner was in Camo too!

typical over achiever!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by GRun View Post
    I have a 7 mo BLF FT hopeful that I am trying to guage how to bring her along on Marking.

Marks from the line or walk-outs to about 100 yds she is very solid, even the few times I have tried her in heavy cover.

The past couple weeks I have stretched her out to 150-200 yd walk-out singles in no/light cover with no real factors, and she misses on some of these.

Last night, her first mark (150 yds, no/light cover, flat throw, cross wind, orange bumber) was a typical miss. She blew by it about 20 yds upwind, went about 30-40 yds deep, hunted back until she got downwind, and worked it back to the fall. The hunt seem like it took forever, but probably lasted 10-15 secs. At this distance, she never breaks down to hunt short and stays on the correct side of the throw.

Any opinions?

1. Slow-down. Shorten-up/simplify (white bumpers?) so she nails nearly every mark.
    2. Keep up with some of these tougher marks, she seems to be working them out.
    3. Stretch her out even further, as long as she is driving to the AOF.
    4. Something else?

My plan for now is #2 as long as i see improvement, but I do not want to push things too fast.

Thank you for any input.

Jeff
    Sounds ideal to me. I had recently watched a YouTube video, I forget by who, but the point of this was to get the dog to over run on flat throws and work the wind back to AOF. As long as the pup keeps working the area and figuring things out there doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Most dogs can and won't pin every mark. Its their ability to work things out thats important. Also I would suggest not using red bumpers on marks. The point is to build confidence in a younger dog.

So your pup was 20 yards wide and 30 yards deep of the mark? Good girl for going out and hunting it up, but that's not marking. I vote for #1---white bumpers, greater than 90% success rate, and using white stickmen. Mix up the throws---sometimes angle back, sometimes angle in, sometimes flat, so your pup learns to judge depth perception of the various throws.
    Renee P

Everyone else has nailed it. Quit using orange dummies. You will see a huge improvement with something she can actually see.