RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A major loss for the Field Trial Community

22K views 97 replies 86 participants last post by  HuntinDawg 
#1 ·
The Field Trial community lost one of it's own today in the sudden passing of John Fallon. No arraignments have been made as yet, but will post with additional information when available.

#28 ·
Mr Fallon,
Thanks for sharing some time during our conversations.
See you a little further on down the road.

PEACE!

Stan b

#35 ·
John was the spice in our chili pot of life here on RTF. God Speed John, you are in the Lords loving arms free of pain or cancer. May he live on through his dogs and run bold straight blinds in his honor.

#37 ·
Very saddened by this. I too only knew John through RTF. I enjoyed his perspective on most things and look forward to meeting him on the other side. Prayers sent for his family, friends, and dogs.

#41 ·
I was lucky to have met John in person. Several years ago, he asked me to judge for Del Bay at their fall HT. I agree with others that he was fun to be around in person. It was one of my most memorable judging assignments, and I have him to thank for that opportunity, and a wonderful weekend due to the efforts of the rest of that wonderful club.

As recently as a couple weeks ago we were sparring on an RTF thread. It feels very strange to know that was the last time we'll get to do so. Like Chris, John angered me at times, but he always made me think hard about whatever it was that we disagreed on at the time and I never felt that I was being personally attacked. That, to me , is the definition of a good argument.

So, Godspeed John! I'll miss you!-Paul

#42 ·
So sorry to hear of John's passing. RIP John, you will be missed.

#43 ·
God Bless you John and keep you.

#45 ·
Oh my sorry to hear, rest in peace John.
Odd, I was headed to VA Hospital yesterday which is near John's home and though of stopping by but did not.
The dozen or so years I knew John he was fighting one serious health issue or another and kept on going. He had a unique wit and intelect.
He also was not a fan of wash outs and had a good number of dogs he cared for.
Take care John.

#46 ·
He also was not a fan of wash outs and had a good number of dogs he cared for.
This, indeed. To his detractors here, of whom there were a few, he would never have let fly with "to hell with 'em," but I bet he might say now "to heaven with 'em" - which would mean reconnecting with John Fallon where all good dogmen go.

He was a hero for me if only for how he managed to get so many d*mned dogs into one Suburban. But he was also as generous with advice and insight about retriever training as any newcomer to the hallowed ground of the C&D Canal could ask for.

MG

#47 ·
My condolences to John's family and friends, it was a shock to see this. Very sad and I'm sorry he had such painful health issues. Good on his friends who are taking his dogs, what a tribute and lovely thing to do, I'm sure he was relieved to know that.

#48 ·
Chris

What a wonderfully written tribute to Mr Fallon.

I will miss reading Fallons posts. I dis agreed with him often,, God knows he slapped Gooser around on many occasion,,,but I like that..

Prayers sent Mr Fallon.. Rest with no pain or worry.

Gooser

#49 ·
Gooser I agree w/you - Chris your words were well chosen. This should be reminder to all of us that this thing we do is a "GAME!" Once it goes beyond that and it consumes you to the point of bitterness and unreasonableness is the time for your timeout and mirror reflection. RIP

#50 ·
My sincere condolences to John's family and friends, especially to you Old Coot and Patty Jordan for taking care of his beloved dogs. I was fortunate to meet John a few years ago, when our clubs were trying to work out conflicting hunt test dates. I'd only known him from RTF so when he left a message on my voicemail to call him I was very curious and surprised to find the most polite, soft spoken gentleman I'd ever dealt with. We were easily able to work things out to both of our club's benefit. The next time I was running something in his area, a derby at his club, I made a point of meeting him in person. It was hard, because he's one of his club's hardest workers and always in motion so I had to chase him down. And he was just as kind and generous and personable to meet as he'd been on the phone. Not at all the abrasive pot stirrer I'd formed a mental picture of before I met him. So I became one of his biggest defenders when people would trash him over his pot stirring. But you know what? We should all be able to stir the pot as tastefully as Fallon did. He never resorted to personal insults or foul language. Whether you agreed with him or not, he'd offer up a contrary opinion which he was able to defend and made things interesting. I will miss him, and I'm so sorry I never took him up on his offer to come train at the canal.

#56 ·
Wow, this is a shock. I never knew John personally, and had no idea of his health problems. He seemed like someone who would live forever. Only recently. we were bickering over some language in the rule book.

John certainly liked to "poke at the bear" and that is not always a bad thing. ;-) He kept things lively and everyone on their toes. Whenever I saw his name on a new post, I always checked in to see what he had to say. I have been on both sides of his opinions and will miss him here.

Condolences to those who knew and loved him. We have lost too many of our "legends" here lately. RIP.

JS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.