The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: A major loss for the Field Trial Community

There is something nice about these tributes to John. I can't explain it. But knowing John in person I'm glad he is getting all this tribute. Yes he stirred the pot but everyone here saw the man for who he really was. Your tribute to him is a tribute to all of you and the type of people you are. John you always showed kindness to me and gave me good advice when running my dog.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

The admirers and friends of John Fallon are working on a little tribute to John Fallon in The Retriever News.

Chris

Edit: It will be hard not to put in that tribute that John Fallon never met an argument that he didn't win (in his mind) but I don't think it will say that.

John Fallon did not want his cancer to be discussed at length on this forum. Some probably read last Summer that John was conquering a "health issue". John was brave. John did not want RTF members to generate drama over his cancer. He had it, he was dealing with it, and that was that.

He preferred to spend time with his dogs, enjoying his training partners and their days afield. Win or lose, was not that important to John. What was important was that it be "right".

Many of us struggled to understand what was "right" for John - or to find ways to agree (or not) with John around what was right.

As one of my closest training partners told me on the day John died, "John Fallon left us feeling that he stuck up for what was right and he never lost an argument."

In the last few days, I've made some new friends - Patty and Lee, whom I did not know before. It's been a big learning for me. What I've learned is that this training group was made up of folks who love their dogs and love each other.

Know what? That's a lot more important than a blue ribbon on the wall...

I miss you John - you jackass.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I just opened my May retriever News.

Page 7, top right corner.

John, I hope you're winning an argument today somewhere, you son of a gun...

I know you believe you're right.

I hear your dogs are being well taken care of while you're apart.

My contacts are foggy right now.

- janitor
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post

- janitor
    It is a nice tribute and I was glad to see where his dogs were. I always wonder what happens to them.

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Anyone who didn't know John before surely knows him now, thanks to the tributes posted here.

I remember many multiple back-and-forths with John over the years. I need to go back and read them and remember that his passion for the sport far outweighed his curmudgeonly manner. I always felt that he was deeper than his manner portrayed, that he truly loved the game and the dog work and probably felt it was his duty to help keep folks "honest" relative to discussions about the sport, however convoluted his point of view might have been.

Glad you're pain free, John...and thanks for being a part of the sport.

k g
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

- janitor
    For those of us who don't get the Retriever News, is this something that can be scanned and posted here if not a copyright violation?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    For those of us who don't get the Retriever News, is this something that can be scanned and posted here if not a copyright violation?
    The below is a scan of the proof that I received from Sara Sommerfield at the RN back when the obituary was being created. I thought Sara did a great job with it.

In general, I'd offer that one ALWAYS get approval before posting anything scanned from the Retriever News. I did get permission for this one below.

The below is a scan of the proof that I received from Sara Sommerfield at the RN back when the obituary was being created. I thought Sara did a great job with it.

In general, I'd offer that one ALWAYS get approval before posting anything scanned from the Retriever News. I did get permission for this one below.

Nicely done. Thanks for posting it Chris.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy