The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Testing

Default Health Testing

Just curious as to all the different clearances and health testing a quality retriever should have?
    I know of EIC and eyes, but what are the others?

Thanks

Hips, elbows, eyes, CNM, EIC ......
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

add PRA to the list.
    -Barton Ramsey

I think more and more, the general database includes PRA, annual CERF/eyes, hips, elbows, EIC and CNM.

I also do OFA cardiac (color Doppler echo with a cardiologist), RD-OSD, thyroid, color and several others but most are considered "extra" except cardiac, which is rapidly becoming part of general health databases it seems (at least in the conformation circle).
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Basic for field lab are of a hip/elbow, eyes, eic, Cnm... Some lines add pra in there, but that's mainly a British/show lab thing. You used to see cardiac on field labs too, but it seem to have gone away, perhaps because if a field lab had a cardiac issue with as much work as they do, it would have been diagnosed, and highly unlikely be bred.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Just to clarify - "eyes" is often summarized in CERF.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Basic for field lab are of a hip/elbow, eyes, eic, Cnm... Some lines add pra in there, but that's mainly a British/show lab thing.
    Maybe not. Just recently a friend told me of his buddy's Lab going blind from PRA. He has a dog from the same litter who is not affected. They are from field lines as both dogs were intended to be hunting dogs, and their previous background in Labs led them to gravitate to field lines.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I don't know how true it is but I had heard from somebody who had a pup sired by FC AFC Candlewood's Mad Mouse who went blind by 5 so it is very likely in some trial lines. Rumor has it some dogs with him in the pedigree have produced it. All hear say. I see some people are testing their FC or AFC studs for PRA. It is not bad to test for it.
    Julie (High Voltage Retrievers) Life is to short to hunt with an ugly dog. Hunting is more fun with a good dog no matter how ugly it is.

Nothing is ever bad to test, but you don't see many PRA tests in Field lines, whether it's because they don't see the condition or because a dog with bad eyes couldn't preform at a high level particularly FT (FC-AFC) where dogs really start running about 5-9 yr. Most just do a CERF and be done with it. Not that it wouldn't be nice to see but I wouldn't discount a litter without having that test done, otherwise you'd be discounting 90% of field litters. Where-as It would be a requirement if one were to look into Show-British lines. Breeders of those type have made the PRA test a priority, there's usually a good reason when a whole group decides to make something a priority . Just doesn't seem to be a priority right now for most field breeders.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

We all need to remember that there are multiple forms of PRA and the genetic test only identifies ONE of them. That is why it is important to have annual eye exams for breeding animals. PRA in Labradors is often late onset, so the dog may be five or older before any signs are visible.

When I am looking for a stud dog, the dog must have had an eye exam within the last 12 months to be considered. A history of annual eye exams is more important to me than the PRA test, although all clearances are appreciated.

Meredith