The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

Default Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

The Retriever News has an interesting article entitled "Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?"

Some interesting statistics from the article
    - There are approximately 250 trials per year
    - This translates to approximately 2000 judging assignments
    - There are 1022 "Active" Judges, that is, people who have judged in the past five years

- 39.4% of those 1022 Active judges have 1-9 points
    - 28% have 10-19 points
    - 25.2% have 20-49 points
    - 4.3% have 50-69 points
    - 2.4% have 70-99 points
    - .65 have 100 points or more
    Last edited by Ted Shih; 04-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Thanks for putting this out their Ted as my latest issue of the News has not yet arrived.
    So the points combine major and minor stakes and as an example appox 252 people have 20-49 points
    I just say wow as i never dreamed it was that thin
    Dk

People need to be brought along in all aspects of the game. The only way it will happen is if people are out there training their own dogs, (at least 1 of them) and they are activley mentoring in both training and trials. If we don't do this, the level of experience becomes thin, and the quality goes down.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Thanks, Ted, for the stats. So what were their suggestions to remedy the situation?

One of the suggestions was for clubs to be more active in pairing experienced judges with less experienced judges, so those newer could gain from the experience level of those who came before them. Makes sense to me.

Especially in the minor stakes.

PS... Another was to not forget about the minor stakes when it comes to experienced judges. If two fairly new judges are together trying to learn from each other, how rewarding is that going to be. Clubs, and their committees need to be more active in the selection process.
    Last edited by huntinman; 04-03-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    Bill Davis

I have been an advocate of professional trainers judging, a proposal shared by few, if any, of the rule makers. While this would not be a long term solution it would provide an immediate infusion of qualified individuals to the judging pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    Thanks for putting this out their Ted as my latest issue of the News has not yet arrived.
    So the points combine major and minor stakes and as an example appox 252 people have 20-49 points
    I just say wow as i never dreamed it was that thin
    Dk
    I could be mistaken, but I think those stats are just for all-age stakes/points.

I applaud the writer of the article and Retriever News for publishing the facts and the Time Zones of the available judges.
    Many of us have talked about this in the gallery, but did not have access to the real numbers.

I have the same thoughts as to how "thin" the actual number of judges are from 20-40 points. It seems that old thought for a field trial judges was let's get two all age judges and have a superb trial. Now the strategy needs to change to say how can we get less experienced individuals to judge with more experienced individuals.

I have had several experienced judges request to only judge with less experienced individuals. I think it is part of the solution.
    The other part of the solution is to convince those competing the most and judging the least to increase their judges chair contribution.
    Another way to increase the numbers is to allow Professional Trainers to judge field trials.
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I have been an advocate of professional trainers judging, a proposal shared by few, if any, of the rule makers. While this would not be a long term solution it would provide an immediate infusion of qualified individuals to the judging pool.
    Why do they not allow the pros?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Why do they not allow the pros?
    Tradition, from the early days of field trials when professional trainers did not enter owner's homes by the main entrance.