The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    IMHO the 8 point rule is somewhat misleading..case in point

My brother is a well respected AA judge,has 80 + AA points on dogs he has personally owned/handled..BUT he has 6 AA judging points (all Open stakes)

My friend and hunting pal has well over the 8 AA judging points and you can count the number of AA points he has on one hand

Who would you rather have judging your trial ?
    The one that will answer your phone call and show up at the trial.

IMHO the 8 point rule is somewhat misleading..case in point

My brother is a well respected AA judge,has 80 + AA points on dogs he has personally owned/handled..BUT he has 6 AA judging points (all Open stakes)

My friend and hunting pal has well over the 8 AA judging points and you can count the number of AA points he has on one hand

Who would you rather have judging your trial ?
    First I have run under and against your brother and think he's a great judge and competitor, so lets leave him out of the equation and just pick some nameless person who has accumulated 80+ AA points, but hasn't judged very much. For me the answer to the same question is that it would depend on who was the better judge, not better dog handler or who has owned the more successful dog.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    The one that will answer your phone call and show up at the trial.
    I think you would be surprised as to whose phone rings the most

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    First I have run under and against your brother and think he's a great judge and competitor, so lets leave him out of the equation and just pick some nameless person who has accumulated 80+ AA points, but hasn't judged very much. For me the answer to the same question is that it would depend on who was the better judge, not better dog handler or who has owned the more successful dog.

John
    John : the only reason I used my brother as an example was to give the question some validity...My friend is also a well respected judge whom you have run under but there is no need to use his name, but do you see the Catch 22 ?

Last year I went to a FT as a spectator, and a FT committee member asked me if I could get my brother to judge their next trial, I told them he wouldn't be able to because he was already making plans to run that trial. I was able to get them a National caliber judge with one phone call..My point being if I can find that type of judge (albeit he is a personal friend) then maybe the FTC needs to expand their horizons and update their contact lists or at least be open to some out of the norm thinking
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Very true, I know some excellent very experienced judges who are rarely invited to judge.

John : the only reason I used my brother as an example was to give the question some validity...My friend is also a well respected judge whom you have run under but there is no need to use his name, but do you see the Catch 22 ?

Last year I went to a FT as a spectator, and a FT committee member asked me if I could get my brother to judge their next trial, I told them he wouldn't be able to because he was already making plans to run that trial. I was able to get them a National caliber judge with one phone call..My point being if I can find that type of judge (albeit he is a personal friend) then maybe the FTC needs to expand their horizons and update their contact lists or at least be open to some out of the norm thinking
    I absolutely get your point. And to add a little more positive to the thread, I am noticing that out west, more and more handlers with five or more years experience running a dog are being invited to judge with a seasoned old time judge. I think more and more clubs are tired of inviting the same judges in a four or five year rotation. I know I have been approached with a "it's been a few years since you last judged our trial" invitation. I'm very happy to see relative new comers who I personally think have good dog sense, being given a chance to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Billups View Post
    It was for AA assignments. I've judged about a dozen minor stakes and I wasn't listed
    yes, same here Bill....I have judged 10+ times on minors and one AA about 5-6 years ago and was not listed
    Chad Wilson

Tuscaloosa

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Very true, I know some excellent very experienced judges who are rarely invited to judge.
    Any idea Why ? are they afraid they wont judge, or that because they are not from that region that the circuit rank and file from that region will not like their(FTC) choices..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BBnumber1 View Post
    Actually, you do get minor stakes points, and there is even a minimum number of total points between the 2 judges of a minor stake
    Sorry for not clarifying, what I meant to say minor stakes don't add to AA stakes points. As the post before me ( we must of hit enter about the same time ). 4 x 250 =1000 not 2000. Now it would be interesting to see how many minor stake judges are out there to mix into the blend.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Any idea Why ? are they afraid they wont judge, or that because they are not from that region that the circuit rank and file from that region will not like their(FTC) choices..
    It mystifies me, perhaps they fear rejection or do not like judges who are known to put on difficult tests.

Dr Ed you can pm me those names I would love to have them.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"