The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    It goes to show you that people want to complain about problems but really don't want solutions. I posted a solution rather right or wrong and only one person addressed it, and no offense but I didn't recognize him. The idea I gave would double the judging pool immediately but not one word. I have no skin in the game and could careless. I was in the game for 12 years and could go back and count the new people in those years on one hand. I could take almost any pro truck and do the same. Y'all are dreaming thinking that it's the new ones that need to step up. $1000 a month fees are keeping them out. Finding judges isn't a new problem.
    No offense taken but to be honest I don't recognize your name either. Isn't the internet great?
    Much like you and others I've been out of the game for years. Yes we have no skin in it but we do have opinions or solutions on the problems that the game faces today and into the future. Unfortunately people like you me and others don't have access to the people in power so the more things change the more things stay the same. Maybe the new RAC will be more open....heavy sarcasm!
    As for pro's judging... Bill Fabian and Bobby George have both judged AA stakes in the past 5 yrs. Maybe the RAC should contact them and their judging partners for feedback on the pro topic. Or at least talk to the competitors at those events and ask if the test and judging were so much better with a pro holding the book.
    But your statement that pro's would double the judging pool ...really? There are maybe 40 AA pro's in the country. Even if you added gun dog, hunt test and derby dog trainers you would have a hard time getting to one hundred. And most of the former would be no better than warm bodies IMO.
    I do agree with you for the most part on newbies. But I'm not sure it's the $1000 a month that keeps new people out. Pro's no longer want a 3 month commitment (winter trip) they want a 3-5 year commitment or $36000-$60000. Few can afford that.

I would be OK with pros judging the next time zone over, and obviously no clients running. I also believe pros need to dedicate 2 weekends a year to help out at a trial of their choice, just like the amateurs do.
    Brooks Gibson

Bad things happen when you ask common dogs to do uncommon things.

Quote Originally Posted by captain2560 View Post
    I would be OK with pros judging the next time zone over, and obviously no clients running. I also believe pros need to dedicate 2 weekends a year to help out at a trial of their choice, just like the amateurs do.
    I also am ok with Pros judging, but don't think it will ever happen. I do want to point out how much the Pros I know help out or even completely run field trials around here. Many of the field trials I attend out west have pro help. They help organize the grounds, they offer their very good throwers to throw at the trial, we use their equipment, sometimes shoot the flyer. It would be a lot harder or even impossible without Pro help at many of our trials. On top of that I can think of three trials that are completely run by a small band of Pros. Just wanted to get that out there, I imagine it's the same in other parts of the country.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I also am ok with Pros judging, but don't think it will ever happen. I do want to point out how much the Pros I know help out or even completely run field trials around here. Many of the field trials I attend out west have pro help. They help organize the grounds, they offer their very good throwers to throw at the trial, we use their equipment, sometimes shoot the flyer. It would be a lot harder or even impossible without Pro help at many of our trials. On top of that I can think of three trials that are completely run by a small band of Pros. Just wanted to get that out there, I imagine it's the same in other parts of the country.

John

The PRTA puts on a number of field trials in the various time zones each year.

I ran the Coastal Bend trial in February on Dave Rorem's Property. Dave worked that trial.
    I ran the Bluebonnet trial in April on Danny Farmer's Property. Danny worked that trial
    The Brazosport Trial is being held on Dave Rorem's Property.

Bart Peterson plays a big role in the West Nebraska trial.
    Kenny Trott and Marcy Wright play a big role in the two trials for the Centennial Retriever Club
    Paul Knutson plays a big role in the two trials for the Rocky Mountain Retriever Club.

Pikes Peak holds part of its trial on Kenny Trott and Marcy Wright's property.

I have judged for Cape Fear.. Alan Pleasant and his wife, Gwen, work hard at that trial.

So, my experience is similar to yours, John.

Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shih; 04-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The question is not "do pros contribute to the work of putting on a trial."
    The question is " Would the overall quality of judging be improved if pro's judge'
    How could it not be? They go to line more than anyone. The upside far outweighs any perceived downside.
    If you want quality mentoring of test design, dog work assessment etc, I see a resource being squandered.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

So how do you propose to "revamp" the Amateur?
    A beginning would be to allow Amateur stakes to be held without Opens and with 1 minor stake more than the once every 2 years with 2 minor stakes that is now proposed,
    These trials could be reduced to 2 days requiring less grounds, workers and judges. These 2 vs 3 day trials would be more attractive for HTers to take the jump, attracting a new and generally younger group to FTs.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    A beginning would be to allow Amateur stakes to be held without Opens and with 1 minor stake more than the once every 2 years with 2 minor stakes that is now proposed,
    These trials could be reduced to 2 days requiring less grounds, workers and judges. These 2 vs 3 day trials would be more attractive for HTers to take the jump, attracting a new and generally younger group to FTs.

Tim
    The thing that would be fun about this is that at most of the trials I go to, the best resources get devoted to the Open. It would be nice seeing the Amateur getting dibbs.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Ed, have you discussed this prospect with any professionals?
    I would be reluctant to accept a judging assignment. Hell, after thinking about it, maybe I'm just afraid of losing my critic's license ☺
    NO DOG WILL PERFORM TO HIS TRAINING LEVEL UNLESS HIS HANDLER IS CAPABLE OF MAKING HIM DO SO!
    reibar.com

Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    Ed, have you discussed this prospect with any professionals?
    I would be reluctant to accept a judging assignment. Hell, after thinking about it, maybe I'm just afraid of losing my critic's license ☺
    During my days as an activist (long ago), when I thought I had a chance to change the world I talked to several top field trial pros and all were receptive to the idea of judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    These 2 vs 3 day trials would be more attractive for HTers to take the jump, attracting a new and generally younger group to FTs.

Tim
    Sounds good in theory. We thought that HTers would participate in Double D-Qs, too. For several years clubs in CA sponsored Sat-Sun D-Qs thinking that this would appeal to the HTers. It didn't. The clubs lost money due to low entries so stopped holding D-Qs.

Helen
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.